Skip to content
laminectomy and spinal fusion
An_248691 posted:
aren't there any positives about this surgery? My neurosurgeon says this will help me. He says he can get me 50% less pain. At this point I'm happy with 50%, but reading all the posting on this site, sounds like nothing helps. I need to have good information. I am so scared of doing this surgery and then feeling like you all do. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.
Thanks doo

michele0530 responded:
Do not be afraid. There are many success stories out there. Get a great neurosurgeon whose reputation you have checked out. I am 65 and had a laminectomy and spinal fusion of two discs 1-1/2 years ago. There were no other options, as I was in terrible pain and walking at a 90 degree angle. It took almost a year to 'get back to myself,' but I'd be in a wheelchair now if I hadn't had the surgery. Follow all post op instructions very carefully. If you are into sports, my advice would be to stop them entirely. Take life easy - my back is at 75% of what it used to be, which is the max they can promise. I encourage you to have this surgery!

twiggirl responded:
Yes, there are!!!
My 1st fusion allowed me to straighten up and walk again as the only position that I could handle was laying in the fetus position. All of my surgeries - lower back and cerivical improved the quality of my life, decreased severe pain and made me much more functional, though not perfect. I feel it was worth it and do not regret my decisions. I have been able to continue to work for many years and function good enough. But I strongly encourage you to get a second opinion and research your neurosurgeon, the better the doctor the better the results. Goofd luck and keep me posted on your progress.

TNT4145 responded:
YES THERE R GOOD OUTCOMES. IVE HAD 2 LLAMINECTOMIES & 2 FUSIONS. 3 ON MY BACK AND 1 ON MY NECK. I ALSO WAS ONLY IN A FETAL POSITION B4 MY 1ST SURGERY. I CURRENTLY DO TAKE 2 PAIN MEDS SINCE 1999 BUT I FEEL LUCKY I CAN LIVE LIFE, DRIVE, COOK AND BE A MOM. I DEFINITELY ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO GET SURGERY IN EXTREME CASES!! I AM VERY GLAD I GOT MY SURGERIES BUT I ALSO HAD A GREAT SURGEON, WELL ACTUALLY 2 DIFFERENT ONES BUT I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!! DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND INVESTIGATE AREA SURGEONS U MAY GET OR R SEEING. GOOD LUCK & I WISH U ALL THE LUCK!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

i've been using tramadol for about 6 months now and it's not working for my pain,i have spinal stenosis and i'm looking for a stronger med...More

Helpful Tips

Muscle Knots: An ACTUAL Long-Term Fix...under $50
I've had problems with muscle knots for a few years now, and have been continuously experimenting with solutions. The chiropractor failed, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.