Skip to content
laminectomy and spinal fusion
An_248691 posted:
aren't there any positives about this surgery? My neurosurgeon says this will help me. He says he can get me 50% less pain. At this point I'm happy with 50%, but reading all the posting on this site, sounds like nothing helps. I need to have good information. I am so scared of doing this surgery and then feeling like you all do. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.
Thanks doo

michele0530 responded:
Do not be afraid. There are many success stories out there. Get a great neurosurgeon whose reputation you have checked out. I am 65 and had a laminectomy and spinal fusion of two discs 1-1/2 years ago. There were no other options, as I was in terrible pain and walking at a 90 degree angle. It took almost a year to 'get back to myself,' but I'd be in a wheelchair now if I hadn't had the surgery. Follow all post op instructions very carefully. If you are into sports, my advice would be to stop them entirely. Take life easy - my back is at 75% of what it used to be, which is the max they can promise. I encourage you to have this surgery!

twiggirl responded:
Yes, there are!!!
My 1st fusion allowed me to straighten up and walk again as the only position that I could handle was laying in the fetus position. All of my surgeries - lower back and cerivical improved the quality of my life, decreased severe pain and made me much more functional, though not perfect. I feel it was worth it and do not regret my decisions. I have been able to continue to work for many years and function good enough. But I strongly encourage you to get a second opinion and research your neurosurgeon, the better the doctor the better the results. Goofd luck and keep me posted on your progress.

TNT4145 responded:
YES THERE R GOOD OUTCOMES. IVE HAD 2 LLAMINECTOMIES & 2 FUSIONS. 3 ON MY BACK AND 1 ON MY NECK. I ALSO WAS ONLY IN A FETAL POSITION B4 MY 1ST SURGERY. I CURRENTLY DO TAKE 2 PAIN MEDS SINCE 1999 BUT I FEEL LUCKY I CAN LIVE LIFE, DRIVE, COOK AND BE A MOM. I DEFINITELY ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO GET SURGERY IN EXTREME CASES!! I AM VERY GLAD I GOT MY SURGERIES BUT I ALSO HAD A GREAT SURGEON, WELL ACTUALLY 2 DIFFERENT ONES BUT I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS!! DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND INVESTIGATE AREA SURGEONS U MAY GET OR R SEEING. GOOD LUCK & I WISH U ALL THE LUCK!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Dave. I am 53 years old, married to the most wonderful woman in the world for 22 years now, and have two great sons ages 18 and 20. We live...More

Helpful Tips

spinal decompression
I had spinal fusion surgery too and the pain came back. I had 20 treatments of spinal decompression and am now pain free most days. Best ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful