Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Intense neck muscle cramp
    zero6972102 posted:
    I recently got over something that I think may have been strep throat. My tonsils were swollen with some white stuff on them. I took a few days off and took in plenty of fluids and now the tonsils are fine.

My problem now is that the muscles just below my right jaw line are locked up and visibly raised up. The supposed ramp is stretching from about 3/4in from the back joint to about the center of my throat.

The muscles have been like this for about 3 days now. My throat doesn't hurt at all and I don't have a fever. The problem is that these muscles won't relax.

I have tried the following:
    1. Placing an Apple Vinegar soaked rag on it.
    2. Stretching the muscles as much and often as I can.
    3. Holding a cold pack of ice on it for 20min at a time.
    4. Taking hot showers and baths to try and relax it.
    5. Massaging it each night and throughout the day.
    6. Eating Bananas to make sure it isn't a Potassium deficiency.
    7. Drinking higher than normal amounts of water.
    8. Taking 2 Ibuprofen and 2 Aspirin every few hours.

All to no avail.

Any ideas?
    It feels and works like a sore muscle, but is it possibly something else?
    Also, do you have any other ideas about how to relax the muscles?

lupylisa44 responded:
    Is it possible that it could be swollen salivary glands? http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/salivary-gland-problems-infections-swelling

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Dave. I am 53 years old, married to the most wonderful woman in the world for 22 years now, and have two great sons ages 18 and 20. We live...More

Helpful Tips

CT RESDIDENTS, CHECK US OUT BEFORE YOU GO UNDER THE KNIFE!
    CONNECTICUT RESIDENTS, COME CHECK US OUT AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF TWO COMPLIMENTARY VISITS!! We offer alternative, completely NON-INVASIVE ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.