Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Intense neck muscle cramp
zero6972102 posted:
I recently got over something that I think may have been strep throat. My tonsils were swollen with some white stuff on them. I took a few days off and took in plenty of fluids and now the tonsils are fine.

My problem now is that the muscles just below my right jaw line are locked up and visibly raised up. The supposed ramp is stretching from about 3/4in from the back joint to about the center of my throat.

The muscles have been like this for about 3 days now. My throat doesn't hurt at all and I don't have a fever. The problem is that these muscles won't relax.

I have tried the following:
1. Placing an Apple Vinegar soaked rag on it.
2. Stretching the muscles as much and often as I can.
3. Holding a cold pack of ice on it for 20min at a time.
4. Taking hot showers and baths to try and relax it.
5. Massaging it each night and throughout the day.
6. Eating Bananas to make sure it isn't a Potassium deficiency.
7. Drinking higher than normal amounts of water.
8. Taking 2 Ibuprofen and 2 Aspirin every few hours.

All to no avail.

Any ideas?
It feels and works like a sore muscle, but is it possibly something else?
Also, do you have any other ideas about how to relax the muscles?

lupylisa44 responded:
Is it possible that it could be swollen salivary glands? http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/salivary-gland-problems-infections-swelling

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Dave. I am 53 years old, married to the most wonderful woman in the world for 22 years now, and have two great sons ages 18 and 20. We live...More

Helpful Tips

feelin bad
im in constant pain. L5 and 6 were fused almost a yr ago now and ive never been in so much pain in my life.im 38 yrs old. my kids r and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.