Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question about neck pain
Phi771 posted:
I have a problem and I hope this can help.

I am a weightlifter and I was bench pressing with dumbells on Monday. In the first set I felt a dull pain in my neck around the base of my skull. It was uncomfortable but I finished the entire workout and had some pain that night that I took some ibuprofin for.

The next day went fine with some residual dull pain that seemed to appear as a very light throb when I was moving (I teach and walk around turning my head a lot) and using my neck. That night (Tuesday) I was trying to stretch my neck (I am coming off of a strain on my left side) and I noticed everything stiffening and the pain radiated into my head and caused a headache. Now on a scale from 1-10 the pain has never gotten over 5, but it is uncomfortable. Wed and Thurs I experienced pain at the base of my skull when I turned my head from side to side, up and down, and a little sore to the touch. I have been using ice and resting as much as possible. Now it seems to hurt if I have been resting it and then get up quickly and start moving around and using my head (it seems to irritate the muscle). However, it has been getting better and as of this typing it feels the best it has felt in a week.

I am a constant worrier and everything points to me straining some muscles in my upper neck and them being inflamed and irritated. But I can't help but think it is something worse. I am probably going to see my Dr. Monday anyway because I have aggrivated a nagging back injury again, but I am worried about my neck and head. I have no other symptoms, just the neck pain and makes my head hurt.

Has this happend to anyone who engages in weighlifting or anything else? I guess I have my answer if it is getting better, but I need reassurance.

robinwilliams responded:
Hi, you can follow these guidelines to reduce you neck pain:
  • Rest until the symptoms subside. Give your neck time to heal.
  • Apply ice packs for 15-20 minutes, 3-4 times a day for the first 48-72 hours.
  • After 48-72 hours, apply moist heat 15-20 minutes, 3-4 times a day to relieve pain.
  • See an orthopedic doctor if the pain persists for 1-2 weeks.
  • Use a neck collar or neck brace if your doctor advises you to do so

Spotlight: Member Stories

Laney is an early 30's mom who has struggled off-and-on with pregnancy complications and chronic pain, not to mention a myriad of joint injuries a...More

Helpful Tips

Muscle Knots: An ACTUAL Long-Term Fix...under $50
I've had problems with muscle knots for a few years now, and have been continuously experimenting with solutions. The chiropractor failed, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.