Skip to content
Mid-Back Pain Right Side
waverider757 posted:
I recently came back from Christmas vacation in the Bahamas. While on vacation, I began to experience moderate back pain in the middle of my back on the right side. This started the day after Christmas, which coiencidently enough was the day after I went jet skiing. At one point the jet ski did go air borne and I did come down pretty hard. This was my first time jet skiing and I am worried I injured my back. The pain got a little better, but in the airport, on the way home, it hurt so bad I could barely move. A couple days later, it got better. Then, as before, got worse, then better again. Now .... this morning I woke up, after a rough night of sleep, and it hurt so bad I could barely move! Should I be concerned? Should I go back to my doctor and demand x-rays ?

Zincubus responded:
Well you should definitely go to your doctor since it's been a few weeks. I don't know if x-rays would be relative but he/she will know the best course. It could be anything from a pulled muscle to an organ. Better safe than sorry.

SharMaui responded:
Sure you could have hurt your back coming down hard on a jet ski. So we are 2 wks from when this started? Back take a long time to heal no matter what has happened even muscles back there take their sweet time. If the pain is interupting your daily activities then I would go to your regular doc and tell him what happened and let him treat you. He might decide to do an x-ray he might not depending on your symptoms. I can tell you this from years of working with doctors. Don't ever demand anything of them cause then they do the complete opposite. Ask if an x-ray might be warranted under the circumstances.

Aloha Shar

Porter1971 responded:
Hey Wave, as always we are not doctors here but I would try and give it a few days of rest before seeking the doctor and use some heat or cold compress. Generally things on the side of your back are muscles, not alot else there to hurt. Sometime pain can radiate out that way I understand but judging by the activities you did I am betting your over worked some muscles. Had the hard part about back muscles is there is no real way to relax them unless you have the time to just lay perfectly flat for a few days and do nothing else. Being your first time jet skiing you were probably a little tensed up from nerves and excitement so when the ski came down depending on how it hit probably gave your body a big jolt much like being in a car wreck, which you tend not to feel until the next day and then generally you feel so bad on the next day that you don't do anything all day which really makes the second day feel twice as bad because you start to stiffen up. Then you kind of walk funny to compensate for the pain which in turns causes pains else where and then the next thing you know your back is all tensed up and you will swear you broke something or wished you had, lol. If it were me I would pop a couple Ibproufens and lay on a heating pad for a couple days in front of the tv and see how that works out, and if it becomes worse or doesn't get better then I would call the doc and make an appointment. Make sure you let them know what happen because they may send you to get x-rays before they schedule your visit. But most likely they will give you a few days of muscle relaxers and tell you to relax for another week and then call back. Hope this helps.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center