Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Cervical Kyphosis?
    Amarynthia posted:
    Hi everyone... I recently decided to do something about the neck pain that I've suffered from daily for over 5+ years now but going to a Chiropractor. I'm 28 and have always been busty. Graduating high school with a 40DDD and years later, I'm now a 40H. I have tried very hard over the years to have good posture to avoid back problems and haven't had any actual "back" problems. But my neck... ouch ouch ouch.

    So yesterday... the Chiropractor tried to pop my neck for me and said that I had so much tension build up that one side wouldn't give him even the slightest snap crackle or pop. So Xrays were taken today. He stated that my neck is at the beginning of "Stage 2" for Cervical Kyphosis. I guess meaning that my neck has already straightened, and is now starting to invert. Grinding my vertebrae together and other such stuff that is causing the extreme tension and pain.

    So my question is... should I let the chiropractor treat me for this or should I see a specialist? And if a specialist, which one? An Orthopaedic specialist? The Chiropractor stated that he'd need to see me multiple times a week, and that I'd need to use a $400+ device everyday to try and bend my neck forward again..? My insurance plan through work is so crumby now that each appt with the Chiropractor or specialist will be $70 (BC/BS of NC). I can't at all afford that.

    Does anyone have any suggestions or info that could help me? I'm extremely worried. Thanks!
    davedsel57 responded:

    If you click on my username and read my profile, you will see that I have some serious problems with my spine. My kyphosis is mostly in the middle - thoracic - section of my spine. That part of my spine is curved outwards more than usual, and my lower (lumbar) and cervical spine is straight. I manage moderate to high levels of chronic pain in several ways.

    People on this board hold various opinions of chiropractors. Personally, I see a chiropractor a few times per month for adjustments, and this is one method that helps me manage my chronic pain. However, I have seen orthopedic specialists and neurosurgeons and have had several sets of MRI's and X-rays to help diagnose my condition. For several years my chiropractor would not adjust me without my x-rays in front of him, and is fully aware of all my conditions due to the MRI's.

    My suggestion is to see a spine specialist, such as an orthopedic specialist or neurosurgeon and get a complete set of MRI's. Then discuss the results and treatment plan with the specialist. My understanding is that there are several surgeries that could help your condition, or other types of non-invasive treatments. Surgery should always be your last resort, but you need to get a complete picture of your condition and options.

    I am a bit leery of the treatment plan your chiropractor has suggested. That would prove to be costly, probably not work and may even cause more problems in my opinion.

    A few other web sites that may help are, and

    Take the time to due your research and see a spine specialist, or even two, for other opinions.

    I pray you find the answers you need.
    jessi19661 responded:
    Hi, I am sorry to hear of your pain, I suffer with several conditions of the cervical spine, and the nerve roots and branches affected by these conditions. I have had 3 levels fused 2 years ago. I agree with Dave. You need to get your reg doc to refer you to a spine specialist, either neurosurgeon (best) or ortho spine specialist. I have kyphosis, which was curving the opposite way, but the key to helping this problem is finding the cause of the kyphosis. This requires a detailed work-up of your symptoms, any pains in the back, neck shoulder blades, arms, hands, chest, armpits, headaches, and any numbness or tingling in any areas, plus MRI, xray, and then other tests if needed, like EMG/NCT. Chiropractors don't do these tests. I would also NOT get any chiro adjustments, or "popping"!!! You could have narrowing of the spinal canal or areas where nerve roots exit the spine and this could cause nerve damage or paralysis if it is not known the cause of the kyphosis and pain,. I don't think chiro will help at all for the neck. You will need medication, and possibly injections, or surgery. I tried all meds and treatments with NO LUCK or relief so I had a double fusion to treat radiculopathy (pinched nerves going to arms), kyphosis, and thoracic outlet syndrome. I had past trauma that caused arthritis, bone spurs, herniated discs, ddd, muscle spasm, pain, pain pain, etc. I wish you luck, and call your insurance and ask them the copay for a specialist office visit, they can also give you a referral to a specialist who is covered under your plan, this is VERY important. Lastly, to help your condition and pain go to a pharmacy with medical supplies and get a cervical collar to wear (even CVS has them pretty cheap). It will allow your neck muscles to rest and it keeps the pain down. I hope you feel better soon.
    littletwister1963 responded:
    ABSOLUTLY NO CHIRO IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    My PM Doc said not to let any chiro touch my neck!!!!!!!!!!!! or any other part of my spine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    TimothyDH replied to littletwister1963's response:
    Asking a medical doctor re/ chiropractic is like asking a democrat if you should vote republican. Medical doctors gererally don't know anything about chiropractic.
    Check the cost of malpractice for your medical doctor and compare that to the cost of malpractice for a doctor of chiropractic and you'll discover the risk of going to a medical doctor is at least 20 times greater. Medical doctors use drugs and surgery, the reason their malpractice insurance is so high. Always try chiropractic before drugs or surgery.
    maltlover replied to TimothyDH's response:
    I agree that a chiropractor is NOT the dr. to be treating your neck. In fact, it's the worst thing you could do in my humble opinion. A good crack could leave you paralyzed.

    Please seek the help of an Orthopedic Spine specialist (not a regular ortho) or a neurosurgeon. Both are best qualified to diagnose, treat, medicate, or repair your neck.

    Best of luck to you, and please, stay in touch with us.

    Hardy11 replied to maltlover's response:
    "A good crack could leave you paralysed" ???
    I would love to hear the statistics behind this outrageous statement! I would like to point out a study conducted shows that the chance of paralysis due to a cervical adjustment is as likely as when getting a haircut...

    As TimothyDH mentioned, you wonder why MD malpractice is so high in comparison to that of chiropractic practitioners.

    Chiropractic is a great alternative treatment if you would like to avoid surgery and there has been many cases where somebody is treated this way and avoids such extreme measures.

    I believe you're best option is chiropractic care in conjunction with an exercise rehabilitation professional
    bj1208 replied to Hardy11's response:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    One thing that Maltlover forgot to mention - we don't dislike chiropractors - HOWEVER we do dislike the idea of people going straight to chiropractors/physical therapist WITHOUT getting a full diagnoses of the neck/back area from either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. They are the best at reading MRI/CT Scans/X-rays/Myelogram etc. Once they have examined and reviewed the films they can WRITE THE SCRIPT for the proper types of Physical Therapy or Chiropractic treatments as their specialty is the back.

    As an example - would you trust going to a brake specialist to install an engine? It's the same concept when you go to a chiropractor/physical therapist without having a full diagnosis - they can and have done more harm than good.

    Hopefully this will help explain our position when we say no to chiropractic/physical therapy treatments until a full diagnoses from a spine specialist has been given. Joy
    Charl1942 replied to bj1208's response:
    I totally agree with Joy and for the same reasons she gives. I am surprised noone has mentioned your large chest size probably has a great deal to do with your neck pain. Usually, medical doctors will do a reduction and the procedure will be covered by most any insurance policy, because of the pain you must be suffering from this problem alone. Please check with the Orthopaedic spine specialist or a neurosurgeon about your neck and the heavy weight you are carrying around all the time. I too, will await your response.
    gerrydefendini replied to bj1208's response:
    Several problems I see with this comment. First of all most orthopedic physicians DO NOT like chiropractors. This has been so since the 70's when chiropractors were not even considered physicians (most orthos still do not consider them physicians). Second, most orthopedics MD's try to solve the problems with either medications (most of them with serious side effects) that are later advertised by some attorney so they can sue the pharmaceutical company or with surgery which on its own have lifelong consequences. So everyone is out for the money and you end up being the guinea pig.
    My suggestion: There are dozens of chiropractic techniques. Try to find a good chiropractor (check your local department of health in your state), and call for an evaluation. When you go, have the physician ( yes chiropractors are now physicians) explain IN FULL to you the condition and the prognosis (or treatment plan) that he or she will use in your particular case. The chiropractor should explain in full even if it takes an hour to explain. If he or she does not do not go back or let the chiropractor start anything until you are fully aware and understand everything. And just so you know, the above example is very misleading. A good chiropractor IS IN FACT a "brake specialist" as opposed to an Orthopedic md who, by definition, (look it up) deals with "musculosketetal trauma, infections, tumors" and other things where a Chiropractor deals ONLY with your spine, and injuries or conditions that develop in these. No medications, no surgeries, and may I add, usually a lot cheaper and safer on most circumstances. So my question to you is Who sounds more like a "brake specialist" to your body
    bj1208 replied to gerrydefendini's response:
    hi gerryefendini -

    first - you are responding to posts that are from 8mts to over 3 years old -

    second - I have seen over 5 Orthopedic Spine Specialists and not one of them ever stated they do not like chiropractors - as a matter of fact both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist have asked if I prefer to see either a chiropractor or physical therapist.

    third - there is a BIG difference between an Orthopedic MD and Orthopedic SPINE SPECIALIST and Neurosurgeon SPINE SPECIALIST - I know the difference between these - DO YOU? WE always refer members to SPINE SPECIALIST and not orthopedic MD's etc., PLEASE READ MY RESPONSE as not once do I suggest the member to go to an orthopedic md - both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist deal with the SPINE - so you decide who the 'brake specialist' is - again read my statement. we stress to members to seek diagnosis from either an ORTHOPEDIC SPINE SPECIALIST OR NEUROSURGEON SPINE SPECIALIST BEFORE being treated by either a physical therapist or chiropractor as they can do more harm than good if they do not know 100% what is wrong with the back. and yes we have had members who were seen by a chiropractor to get an adjustment and ended up with severe problems where emergency surgery was warranted.

    Forth - as in regards to my condition, I've had surgery on my spine (plate, screws and cage) and have been to numerous chiropractors and physical therapist and because I have what is referred to as Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, all therapy treatments have left me in worse pains. and no where in my response do I discuss my condition as I was replying Hardy's post.

    So please go back and read the posts and be sure you read line by line my response and realize what types of surgeons I have referred the members to.


    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center