Skip to content
Pain under right shoulder blade
sparkline posted:
I have had a dull, sometimes stabbing pain under my right shoulder blade for the past four weeks. It is made worse by lying down on it, or when putting pressure on it. When I lie down on a hard surface, such as the floor, the pain radiates down my arm causing tingling and sometimes pain in my fingertips. My right index fingertip is slightly numb.

My doctor suspects that it is being generated from the neck area and has ordered an MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine. However I was not able to follow through with it as I was not able to lie on the bench as I was having back pain. I have tried pain relievers and I still cannot lie on my back without pain for more than 2 minutes.

Is this a muscle pain or is it in fact referred pain from the neck area. Ultimately I need to have the MRI to rule out cervical issues. Any idea as to what is going on here? Is it myofascial pain?

Dot40324 responded:
Hi and welcome. So sorry you are in such pain.

I am afraid since you have some numbness and tingling that it is probably coming from your spine (a pinched nerve). Unfortunately an MRI is what you need to find out the exact cause and get the right treatment.

Can you talk to them and see if there is any way they can make you more comfortable while having the test? Or maybe have your Dr order a sedative or pain meds to get you through it? I have had the MRI's too and yes it is very painful to lie still when we are in so much pain to start with.

However if it is a pinched nerve and it remains that way for too long it can cause permanent damage. Please talk to your Dr and see what he/she can do to get you through the test.

I am posting a link that shows what discs affect certain areas of your body. You can see on there which ones cause the tingling and pain in your arm and hand. Please let us know what you find out......Dot

mississaugachiro.com/interactive_flash_spinal_nerve_chart.php

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center