Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'm leaking spinal fluid within my closed incision...
sacred_willow posted:
Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting anything on here. I've been reading through a lot of discussions & I'd like you guys take on my situation, please....
On Jan. 28th of this year, I had lower back surgery for a herniated disc that had ruptured. About a week after, my incision opened & I started to leak spinal fluid... my incision opened further as time passed. I will add that I informed my surgeon, even went in to show them & thought they's stitch it up, but no.. since it had opened completely, he sent me to wound care for them to tend, culture & pack. They basically refused & did a CT scan w/contrast & determined I had a pocket of CSF & also... MRSA. So, off to a 2nd surgery & I went back to the surgeon. This was 1 month & 4 days later, to "fix" the pocket & "clean up" the MRSA. Everything was great until the 2nd week after this surgery started, (which was last week) started, where I developed a cyst like "hill" on my back at the top of my now- fairly healed incision. Outside looks great but I am in severe pain down my back, buttocks, legs, & feet. I feel a burning sensation within my incision... also I can feel the CSF dripping inside... or something just like it. It feels like it did, trickling, when it was opened! So, I went in, he drained the fluid off by way of a tap last Wednesday & sent it off to be cultured again. They (his office), has been closed since then, I called this morning & will be in the office after lunch for the same thing I assume, to have it drained... it was horribly painful & I'm not thrilled at all!

Anyone have any insight as to what I need to demand of this doctor to FIX my back? I am am mother of 2 small boys, one with Autism (age 6) & my eldest with severe ADHD (age . My husband has taken over everything to help me, over 5 months now of issues straight with my back! I wouldn't be able to cope without him, I am BLESSED! I need this resolved! Anyone have any advice or experience with these issues or something like it?

Please.... thank you & bless you

bj1208 responded:
hi sacred_willow - welcome to the board - I am so sorry that you are having to go through this -

I'm gonna give you the best answer as possible - GET A 2ND OPINION ASAP!!!! YOU EMPLOYEE THE DOCTOR SO IT IS YOUR CHOICE OF WHAT TO DO - go see your primary care physician and let him/her know what has been going on and that you want to get a 2nd opinion of your after surgery care - your primary care doc will help you get one -

Please, Please do this as soon as possible - be sure to take all your files/films/x-rays - and hospital reports etc., the 2nd opinion doc may do his/her own tests but will want to review the other ones.

To answer your question regarding the sensations in your buttocks/legs etc., this may be from a pinched nerve PRIOR to your back surgery - Did you have a bulging disc that was pressing on a nerve root??? If so, sometimes back surgery will stir up things and make certain areas hurt worse than before surgery - this could be a healing process for it - sometimes if nerve roots are damaged before surgery and CAN be repaired by the surgery it could take a few months to a year for this to calm down. NOW that is not to say 100% that this is it - but what u describe sounds very similar to it - the 2nd opinion surgeon will confirm this.

I hope and pray that you can get the answers and pain relief that you DESERVE - Please, please keep us updated as to what happens - God Bless - Joy

Helpful Tips

anyone in pain heed my call
I was in too much pain to make it to my water therapy. i had an excuse for anything. my phy ther said she would drop me and it was a sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center