Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Advice for furniture after surgery
An_189509 posted:
Hello, I am on day 5 recovery from a fusion of L4/L5/S1. I am having a terrible time finding a place to sit in my home that at least allows for a few moments of relief. Have stayed away from recliners and of course the couch is off limits. Hoewever I am not sure what kind of chair would be the best for me to use in our living room. I have an older Queen Ann style chair, but feel it is rather worn out and not too supportive. I hesistate to purchase a new one w/o knowing if it would be the appropriate choice. Any suggestions?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I have to have a recliner to be comfortable. We have had reclining furniture of some type in our living room for over 20 years. My conditions (click on my user name to read my story) requires a recliner for me to get pain relief and comfort.

How about a good easy chair with an ottoman? Can you raise your feet like that? Perhaps just go to a local furniture store and start sitting in all their chairs and sofas and see what feels best for you.

Praying you can find something that gives you relief and is comfortable.

Blessings,

-Dave

DUKE MEDICINE
Joe T Minchew, MD responded:
Anon

I assume that you have been prescribed a brace since your are recovering from a fusion procedure. If so, it is unlikley that any type of chair would be very harmful for you as long as you are wearing your brace. Some types of furniture that may be helpful to avoid are: ones where your knees have to bend a lot more than 90 degrees for you to get your bottom down to the seat; ones where the cushions are extremely soft casuing you to sink down into them; ones that do not have arms that are available to help you get out of the chair; and ones that have a odd angle betwee the seat and the back. Recliners in and of themselves are not inappropriate as long as you enter and exit the recliner with the seat in the upright position and you do not recline excessively. It really is primarily an issue of comfort and unfortunately, 5 days out from a fusion procedure it is hard to be comfortable in any chair. A lot of that has to do with the surgical pain and dissection of the muscles. This will improve exponentially with time

Good Luck!

JTM

spondylolisthesis replied to Joe T Minchew, MD's response:
Dear Dr., I'm soon to have a spinal fusion for spondylolisthesis between L5 and S1. I've been reading about the best chairs to use to sit in after surgery. I haven't been able to sit in ANY chairs since Aug., 2002 except a HAG kneeling chair, the bottom of which is at a slant. Is this bad? I really don't have any other options in my house. I can sit in my car as it has adequate lumbar support and is just soft enough. After surgery and recovery, I hope to be able to sit again in any chair, including an airplane seat so I can travel again. My main question is about the kneeling chair. Is this a bad chair for me post surgery?
Thanks, Spondy

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center