Skip to content
Sorry!
DUKE MEDICINE
Joe T Minchew, MD posted:
I wanted to take a minute to apologize to the members of the exchange for being absent from the discussions for a while. It has been a particularly busy couple of weeks for me with busy clinics, surgical cases and some travel. It just seemed that there were not enough hours in the day to sit down to the computer and communicate coherent answers to your questions and I did not want to give you limited attention.

I tried to answer several questions tonight but I am sure that I did not get to all of them. Therefore, if you have a question that was not answered in the last week or so, please feel to repost it in the next few days and I will try to get to all of them.

Sorry again and I hope that the members have found the new exchange concept helpful and informative even though I know that some of you have found the format a little difficult to navigate.

JTM

davedsel57 responded:
Dr Minchew,

I think most of us understand how busy a schedule you must maintain. I appreciate what ever time you can give us here. The answer you gave to my question was exactly what I was looking for and gave me much hope.

Thank you for your service to your patients and to the members here at the WebMD Back Pain Exchange.

-Dave

MagPrincess replied to davedsel57's response:
I agree

I think you have been extremely helpful and tend to be alot faster than getting an answer that I can understand from the doctors office.

chronicpainsearchingforanswers responded:
Hello Doctor.My name is Emily Young.I am born and raised in Hamilton,Ohio.I live in Hamilton,Ohio and I am 17 years old.I will be 18 the beginning of August.In September of 2009 I started getting very odd and painful symptoms.At first, my migranes were just getting very severe.But, I have always had migranes and I didn't think anything of it.Then i started sleeping all of the time,getting very dizzy,being very disoriented,having nausea,fevers,and having very very severe chronic pain radiate throughout my whole body.The pain is always worse in my back though.My doctor at Cincinnati Childrens has taken me out of school and now i get home schooled.They have done every test in the book,and all of them has either came back negative or normal.Im tired of living my life in extreme pain.Im tired of going to pediatric doctors that can't or won't give me anything to help me.I don't leave my home anymore.I can barely get out of bed everyday.I don't know what to do or who to turn to next.They still don't know what's wrong with me.I cant live with this pain anymore.What should I do doctor?Can you give me any advice?Should I go to an adult pain facility.My pediatric doctors say they can't give me anything to help the pain because they are pediatric doctors and aren't aloud to.I have no quality of life anymore.I have lost all hope of having an actual happy,fufilling life.Im out of resources.Im desperate to find relief,if only for a second.Please doctor give me your insight on this and any advice at all that could help! I have tried all of the over the counter medications and they have no effect on the pain,what so ever. My doctors have prescribed me many,many different kinds of medicines to help with the pain,and none of them have helped even the slightest.They say they cant try to give me anything else because their pediatricians and are not aloud to do so.They tell me that they have tried to prescribe all of the medications,that they can think of,and there are not any more. I really need to know what to do next. Please doctor,PLEASE,help me in any way that you know how.Thank you!!!

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center