Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pregnancy post laminectomy
yvonnef1974 posted:
I am 36, and had 2 major back surgeries in 2005 - In April '05 I had lumbar laminectomy at L4/5/6 and discectomy at L4/5 and L5/6 (yeah, I'm a freak with an extra lumbar vertebra). Not 3 days later I re-herniated at the same levels, and had to have an additional discectomy 6 weeks later. Since, I have been relatively pain free with only mild problems when I overdo it.

I am now 18 weeks pregnant and my neurosurgeon (whom I haven't seen in 2 years) told my OB/GYN without seeing me that I can have a vaginal delivery. I am extremely worried about what this will do to my lower spine, given the open vertebrae I now have, and the fact that there is added instability due to the extra one. He has also stated that an epidural is fine, although scar tissue may make it difficult to do technically. I plan on seeing my anesthesiologist prior to delivery. My original plan was to have a C-section and hopefully an epidural. But this idea of a vaginal delivery scares the living-you-know-what out of me! Any ideas, or thoughts? I see my OB/GYN next Monday to discuss this, but I want to go armed!

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center