Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    back pain
    01sis posted:
    My brother has had 2 back surgeries and he is 74 yrs. old. The first surgery was in 1990 and the second was in 2007 and it was not successful. He has been through every test known to man and is still in debilitating pain. Just started on pain med Meloxicam. He has bulging disk, bone spurs, severe scolisos and arthritis. Any help out there surely would be appreciated. He can hardly walk - just sits most of the day. He has lost weight and is very weak. Thanks to everyone.
    Joe T Minchew, MD responded:

    It certainly sounds at though your brother is in a lot of pain and has a complex problem. Unfortunately, there is no easy or simple answer for these issues. It sounds as though more surgery is really not an option or advisable. That is not surprising as the likelihood of success decreases with each subsequent procedure. At this point, it may be useful to seek a consultation at a multidisciplinary spine center, particularly one with an active pain management component. If there is not one where your brother lives, you might research the closets medical schools or universities to see which ones may have such a center. If this is some distance from his home, it would not make sense to plan on long term treatment there. However, they may be able to recommend a plan to minimize his pain and maximize his function that either his PCP or a local pain physician could initiate. If you do seek such a consultation, make sure he takes all the records (physician and hospital) as well all of his radiographic studies (reports and films) from before and after surgery with him to the visit. The films may be on a CD but the doctors will usually want to view the images themselves.

    Good luck and I hope he can find some improvement!

    01sis replied to Joe T Minchew, MD's response:
    Thank you so very much for all your info. It helps to know that someone out there is listening and cares.

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center