Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Excercises for post surgery
Danielofhouston posted:
I have had discectomy about 10 yrs ago and thing was going great for a very long times. After 10 yrs of painfree, I'm begining to get active and starting to have back pain again. It lets to another surgery about 4 months ago.

The sciatica pain is gone and I'm very much pain free, except for that my back is still very stiffs. It's not that bad as was before the surgery. However, I want to be active again like I was before the surgery. I have been going to the gym to do the eliptical machine and some light wieght. Yet, my back is still stiff.

My question is that what excercises that I can do to help my back so that I can play tennis again.

Thank you.

bj1208 responded:
hi danielofhouston - welcome to the board - am very happy that you have had good results from your surgeries.

what I would do is go to your primary care physician and/or your surgeon (if still under his/her care) and let them know that you want to start working out again. ask them if they could write a script for physical therapy - this way they will let you know the correct exercises to do and how to do them properly.

one of the worst things to do is to do exercises incorrectly and re-injure your back.

let us know how u are doing from time to time - it's always good to hear of success operations - take care - Joy~~

DUKE MEDICINE
Joe T Minchew, MD responded:
Daniel

It is great that you have had exellent results from your surgical procedures. You are wise to try to get moving and active again. Being fit and active is the best thing that you can do to prevent future problems with your back. However, it is important that you develop a progressive aerobic and strengthening regiment. I would suggest that you contact your surgeon for a referral to a spine physical therapist who can help you get started on your return to exercise. In general, you want to avoid impact type exercises so the elliptical is a reasonable option. You should also avoid any heavy weights, particularly free weights, above your head that will cause compression to the spine. I usually recommend that spine patients use the weight machines that use resistence mechanisms or weights on tracks with pulleys. These are less likey to injury you. You also need to do regular core muscle strengthening. Again a physical therapist can help you get started. Pilates is the commercial exercise course that is most similar to a core strengthening program.

Glad you are doing well and eager to be active. Good luck!

JTM

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center