Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 year old with constant back pain
Ron73 posted:
I have a seven year old daughter that developed extreme lower back pain right at Easter. It seemed to come on almost over night. We don't know if it is a coincidence or if this started the problem but the night she started complaining of the pain a small metal Tiki torch fell over and hit her on her head and back. All of the doctors say that this would not have caused any problems that she has. The pain gets much worse at night time and wakes her up. When it first started, she would not even be able to sleep. It has lessened a little and she can fall asleep but it is still not good and she wakes up every night. She has been in the hospital several times and had many tests run to test for conditions with her spine, tumors, organs and other possibilities. She has been to two pediatric orthopedists and neither of them have found anything. She is currently in physical therapy to help strengthen the muscles in her back to possibly help. Next week she has an appointment with a neurologist to see if it is nerve related. She is currently on neurotin, which helps some but a 7 year old shouldn't need to take medicine for something like this. She is taller than most of the girls her age, so several people said that it is some type of growing pain. There is a possibility that she has a very small tumor on her spine that it too small to be seen on the MRI and bone scan.

Has anyone had a similar situation?

Geradine4733 responded:
Welcome to this friendly board. You are a good parent and are doing everything you can to help your daughter. I agree that it is sad when our children have to cope with pain.

Best wishes that the neurologist can find the source of her pain and help her. It sounds like a pinched nerve or nerves but only a doctor can give an intelligent opinion and hopefully the right answer. Once the problem is identified, there is help.

Alliejones03 responded:
Hi Ron73. My 7 year old son is having the same back problems exactly that you wrote about. Did you ever fund out what it was?! I took my son to the doctor Thursday and he said if the pain isn't gone to come back in 3-4 days for an X-Ray. It's day three and last night he woke up crying again so we're going to go back in today.

Helpful Tips

marybear53
I have had relief from facet injections in my lower back. My pain management doctor told me that surgery is not, and will not be an option. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center