Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I need to know if TRAMADOL ORAL is a NON-NARCOTIC pain reliever.
ktoc35 posted:
I am taking tramadol oral 50 mg and need to know if it is a non-narcotic pain reliever

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

You can look up any medication using the "Drugs & Supplements" tool at the top of this page.
Blessings, -Dave

ktoc35 responded:
I did do that first but it did not specify if it was a narcotic or not. It just said it was used for moderate to severe pain.

davedsel57 replied to ktoc35's response:
I did a Yahoo search and found information here: http://www.medicinenet.com/tramadol/article.htm

The statement "Tramadol, like other narcotics used for the treatment of pain..." would indicate that it is a narcotic.
Blessings, -Dave

An_189584 responded:
it is not a narcotic pain reliever

HAdams27 responded:
it's not a narcotic or it would be a controlled drug which it's not...im a pharmacy tech so i know its not a narcotic

marieh9 responded:
Yes it is a non narcotic pain reliever. It is additive though. It took me 5 days to get rid of the withdrawal but you can do it when you need to. i took 50 mg a day then two 50 mg twice a day for a month. It gave me insomnia after about 3 weeks. Vicadin works better but I got insomnia after two days with that. I have had other friends say the same. Tramadol helps made the pain tolerable but didn't knock it out for me. hope this helps.
Marieh9

marieh9 replied to davedsel57's response:
From my understanding after having read the pack insert it is a non-narcotic moderate pain reliever but acts like a narcotic.
One can always call their pharmacist too.
MarieH9

OldStormyAngel responded:
According to different sources I've read Tramadol is a Non-narcotic pain reliever

MissLisa16 responded:
In my opinion the only reason for the recent questions over tramadol at all is because of the states reclassing the drug. The only reasons the states did that is because with anything eles broad brush approach. Since tramadol can be bought online and they don't like it so they reclassed the drug. I took the drug for years with no side effects and from day one Dr's have always said its a non narcotic. I agree it gives you flu like symptoms coming off of it that are a pain, its not going to make you act like a junkie and go knock off a bank and hunt the streets for more.

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
Which states: "This medication is used to help relieve moderate to moderately severe pain. Tramadol is similar to narcotic analgesics. It works in the brain to change how your body feels and responds to pain. How to use tramadol Oral Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain relief. You may take this drug with or without food. If you have nausea, it may help to take this drug with food. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about other ways to decrease nausea (such as lying down for 1 to 2 hours with as little head movement as possible). The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. To reduce your risk of side effects, your doctor may direct you to start this medication at a low dose and gradually increase your dose. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. The maximum recommended dose is 400 milligrams per day. If you are older than 75 years, the maximum recommended dose is 300 milligrams per day. Do not increase your dose, take the medication more frequently, or take it for a longer time than prescribed. Properly stop the medication when so directed. Pain medications work best if they are used as the first signs of pain occur. If you wait until the pain has worsened, the medication may not work as well. If you have ongoing pain (such as due to arthritis), your doctor may direct you to also take long-acting narcotic medications. Other non-narcotic pain relievers (such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen) may also be prescribed with this medication. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about using tramadol safely with other drugs. This medication may cause withdrawal reactions, especially if it has been used regularly for a long time or in high doses. In such cases, withdrawal symptoms (such as restlessness, watering eyes, runny nose, nausea, sweating, muscle aches) may occur if you suddenly stop using this medication. To prevent withdrawal reactions, your doctor may reduce your dose gradually. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details, and report any withdrawal reactions immediately. When this medication is used for a long time, it may not work as well. Talk with your doctor if this medication stops working well. Along with its benefits, this medication may rarely cause abnormal drug-seeking behavior (addiction). This risk may be increased if you have abused alcohol or drugs in the past. Take this medication exactly as prescribed to lessen the risk of addiction. Tell your doctor if your pain persists or worsens."

spaulding76 responded:
Not an opioid it is a man made narcotic, Yes there are withdrawls but in a much less physical way. If you have ever gone thru withdrawls from morphine as I have. You'll know the difference . I have just finished another round # 20 in the last 7 yrs

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
Yeah like Dave said. Use the drug look up tool. It's great

So what is a true opiad? The organic product of opium? Heroine and cocaine were man made answers to the evil opium. Demoral is synthetisized analgesic...does that mean its not an opiad?

As we know nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to man and its not an opiad.

Don't get so hung on labels. Knowledge is cruciall, second only to listening to your body. Each of us are different and one man poison may be another's candy. You never know.

T

Helpful Tips

A Good Orthopedic in 10118 area?
Hello Everyone, I suffer from lower back pain for over 9 years now and it's been getting worse and worse. I have not had any luck with the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center