Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Lower Back/Right above Butt Pain For Over 2 Weeks What should I do?
    An_189601 posted:
    I fell while playing hockey on my upper butt, lower back like I think around the tail bone area. The pain is horrible I can't even sit for 10 minutes without it hurting at all. It's been hurting for more than 2 weeks I have tried advil/ibuprophen nothing is working it still hurts alot. I have to try like 50 different sleeping positions every night so it won't bug me. Please Help.
    charl1942 responded:
    Have you been to see a doctor yet? What about standing or walking? Does this give you any relief? Do you sleep okay after you finally go to sleep? Is this the first time you have fallen on your backside? Does one side hurt worse than the other? I think you are saying the pain goes from the tailbone across you hip, is that right?
    bj1208 responded:
    hi anon_81373 - welcome to the support group -

    anytime that you take a fall like that, especially playing hockey and falling on hard ice, chances are you jarred something or possibly worse -

    it's best that you go to your primary care physician and let him/her know what you did. x-rays may be taken to see if anything may be broken. an MRI and/or CT Scan should be done next - this will give a more in debt look at the bones/discs. once you have those results you should get a referral to either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist and/or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist (my preference is Orthopedic Spine Specialist) - not saying you need surgery - but they are the best at reading the results. they will review those and let you know what the best treatment plan is -

    the sooner you do this the sooner you will know what is going on with your lower back/buttocks area.

    when sleeping at night try using pillows - put pillow between your legs while sleeping on your side and under you knees if sleeping on your back. this should help take some of the pressure off your spine and keep it straight.

    let us know what they find out - take care - Joy~~
    An_189602 responded:
    Without doing an exam it sounds like you injuried the tip of your tail bone. X-ray would show your alignment of your tailbone. I would suggest going to Chiropractor because it is easy fix. Good luck.
    bj1208 replied to An_189602's response:
    going to a chiropractor without knowing 100% what is wrong with tailbone or back is not a good idea - chiropractor's are not doctors, even though they can do x-rays an x-ray does not show everything - let's say for instance if you have a disc that is bulging and pressing on a nerve root and you go to the chiropractor he/she does an x-ray and sees nothing wrong (x-ray's DO NOT show bulging discs) so the chiropractor starts doing adjustments and injures your back worse - it happens to lots of patients daily

    to get a complete diagnosis you need to have an MRI and/or CT Scan - this will show not only the discs (bulging/herniated/slipped - all same meaning) but will show if there is a nerve being impinged by a bulging disc. And it does sound as though a nerve is being impinged especially in the upper buttocks area as this is the piriformis muscle and it covers the sciatic nerves that run down the backside of the legs.

    You never want these areas to be compromised by going to a physical therapist or a chiropractor without knowing 100% what is wrong with your back - they can make it worse -

    once the surgeon (either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist and/or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist) have reviewed the MRI/CT Scan results they can then give the orders for treatments - and if physical therapy or chiropractic care is ordered then they can write the script for it - also, Pain Management doc's that specialize in PHYSIATRISTS treatments can order physical therapy/chiropractic treatments as they will know which areas need it and which areas to avoid.

    when dealing with our backs it's best to be 100% sure - our backs are our threshold - you don't want to injure it more

    charl1942 replied to bj1208's response:
    Anon_81373 Please respond. I am interested to know whether you ever saw a physican and what you found out, please let us know.
    brenda12345 replied to charl1942's response:
    Sorry to keep everyone waiting! I haven't been on my computer for awhile...

    I have a scheduled appointment with my physician in about 3-4 weeks.. I know, I couldn't get an appointment sooner. Pain is still horrible... I have no clue what the heck is going on back there... I am hoping at the worst it's just a bruised tail bone but I don't know for sure.. I will keep you guys posted and if you guys know anyone who's had this pain before and knows the treatment.. please post!! Again, sorry for the delay.. will talk again soon!
    bj1208 replied to brenda12345's response:
    hi brenda12345 - that's great you are getting in to see the doc - hopefully he will order some tests to be done - x-ray, MRI, CT Scan - be sure to take those results to either an orthopedic spine specialist or a neurosurgeon spine specialist as they are the best at reading the results and will also let you know what the best course of treatment will be -

    let us know what happens - take care - Joy~~

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center