Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    New pain relief med??
    imachildagain posted:
    Many must have received this same message this a.m. from WEB MD, but anything gives me hope
    FDA OKs Existing Drug
    as New Pain Treatment

    Cymbalta, a drug used to treat depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, and diabetic neuropathy, has been
    approved by the FDA for a new use -- to treat chronic musculoskeletal pain. This type of pain is
    commonly caused by osteoarthritis and chronic low back pain. "

    Now I wish it addressed upper cervical pain, but for many maybe this is hope.
    bj1208 responded:
    hi imachildagain -

    cymbalta has been used for the last couple of years for treatments on chronic pains - and since it works thru the neuro patterns of the brain i'm sure it would help with any part of the back not just the lower back -

    it's worth a try - ask your doc and see what they say - take care - Joy~~
    imachildagain replied to bj1208's response:
    Thanks Joy, I'll add to my list of questions. My spine specialist will not communicate with me, so I think I'm going back to the Neurosurgeon, although we both agree no more surgery for now. But at last he's prescribe the meds. The spine specialist and my general doc won't. And when I went to a pain specialist, they overdosed me where I was a zombie.
    bj1208 replied to imachildagain's response:
    and be sure to be adamant about answers - if he gives one short answer - just say please explain i don't understand - don't be afraid to ask to repeat or speak in english terminology! LOL so that u understand fully what is going on -

    try and see if there is a pain management place that has PHYSIATRIST in the name - they are better at treating chronic pain issues - your surgeon will know one -

    i'm afraid ur surgeon will get to a point to where they won't give u any more meds - mine treated me for 8 months then I was sent to pain management or my primary care doc -

    anyway let us know what happens when u see the neuro surgeon - take care - Joy~~
    imachildagain replied to bj1208's response:
    Thanks, a lot going on in my head and body, and my Mom very ill in another state, so am either going to fly, Amtrak, or drive today or tomorrow. I am beginning to think these nerve cuttings are not the answer. As the SCS was so successful for my lower extremities, if it would be considered for cervical, I might try that, otherwise it's pills, pills, pills, and yes another doc. This spinal specialist gives me no pills. Only my Neurosurgeon is still prescribing and brand new PCP who doesn't understand the problems, and the gastric bypass surgeon who isn't any help.

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center