Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Zanaflex/Tizanidine side effects and also pain relief
marieh9 posted:
Hi group,
I went to the neurologist today and ruled out MS ( I didn't think I had it) and the doctor thinks my back pain is most likely myofascial pain. She prescribed Zanaflex and i am worried about the side effects. What were your experiences and is it worth it. Also, if you went off of it how bad are the withdrawal symptoms.
thanks,
marieh9

bj1208 responded:
hi marieh9 -

well i have been on zanaflex/tizandine several times in the last 5 years - i have always taking muscle relaxers with my pain meds - so when I went off the muscle relaxers I didn't have any withdrawals -

have you discussed this with the neurologist? or possibly your primary care physician?

I know that there are/were several members that have taken this med so hopefully they will see the post and respond.

hope this helps a little - take care - Joy~~

marieh9 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi bj1208,
thanks for the info. How long do you usually take the drug when you do? She is thinking of having me on it long term, not just for a week. I didn't get a chance to ask many questions with this new doctor. So, tomorrow I'm seeing my GP and then next week I'm going to the Integrative pain medicine center. So I think I will hold off until next Tuesday.
take care,
marieh9

livebyfaith2010 replied to marieh9's response:
I take that one and I really like it. Unlike flearil it actualy works it relives my muscle tention and helps me sleep at night. I take that in combo with my ambien and unless my three year old daughter has a bad night I almost always sleep good I really like that one. It does make me really sleeply so be a good idea to take it at bed time until you know how it will effect you

bj1208 replied to marieh9's response:
hi marieh9 - when I was taking these (took them at different times) it was normally when I was also going to physical therapy - which I have been to 6 or more different ones - and each time I was on it from one month being the shortest time to almost a year being the longest time -

physical therapy did not work for me and the muscle relaxers did not work either - I was going to PT 3X a week and every time I did they had to massage my muscles away from the middle of my back (starting at the backbone and work outwards) - and by the time I did my exercises and did the heat/ice treatments my muscles would be tensed up again - so I gave up on that plus the PT did not make my back better - it actually hurt and made it almost impossible to get up and walk - this has happened each time I went to different PT's plus before and after my surgery - ugh! LOL guess i'm just a lost cause!! hehe!

I would give it a try and see how you do on it - everyone is different and reacts differently to meds -

take care - Joy~~

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center