Skip to content
Severe back pain when sleeping or lying down
zooroppa posted:
Hello all;

I suffer from chronic lower back pain (left side) while I attempt to sleep or lay down. I constantly wake up at night and just to take a breath feels like my kidneys are being stepped on. I have to get up and walk around, but 5 minutes latter after lying back down, the pain is back. It is almost unbareable. I am 6'3 and weigh 164; I played basketball for over 20 years (40 years old). I have been to doctors who state I have a torn L4 disc..I purchased a temper pedic bed (it does not help at all). Has anyone heard of this type of pain, mainly when lying down or trying to sleep???

Daniel

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, Daniel, and welcome.

Sleep interruption is very common in people with back problems. If your mattress is old or just not good for you, consider shopping for a new one. Take your time and lay down on all mattresses you are considering. Get one that is comfortable for you.

I just created a tip yesterday on this WebMD Pain Management Community that lists what you need to do for back pain diagnosis and treatment. Here is a link to that tip: http://forums.webmd.com/3/back-pain-exchange/tip/18?@guest@

I pray you can get the treatment and relief you need soon. Let us know how you are doing.
Blessings, -Dave

bj1208 responded:
Hi Daniel - welcome to the support group -

You mention that you have a diagnosis - but you did not let us know who diagnosed this for you? Was it your primary care physician? or surgeon? if surgeon, what type? How was this diagnosed? MRI, CT Scan etc.

I'm surprised that your doctor has not give you a treatment plan - normally when seeing a surgeon (not meaning you need surgery but they are the best at reading MRI's, CT Scans, etc) they will go over a course of action for treatments.

Please let us know a little more about your diagnosis so that we can help you further -

Also, when sleeping, place pillows between your knees when laying on your sides - this will help keep the spine more straight and take pressure of spine - also place pillows under knees when sleeping on your back - Never sleep on your stomach as this is bad for the back.

I have this pain constantly when I sleep - I sleep for about 2-3 hours then up the rest of the night - if I sleep more then I wake up crying and screaming waking my hubby and then he usually has to help me up - which can take anywhere from 5 minutes to over 15 minutes.

So please let us know more about you and how you were diagnosed - hope the pillows help - they do most of us - don't take away all discomfort but do help - Joy~~

lindaj81 replied to bj1208's response:
Funny but I am going through the same thing with my back. Waking up every 2-3 hours. How are you dealing with this issue now?

bj1208 replied to lindaj81's response:
hi Lindaj81 -

I still sleep for about 2-4 hours a nite then up the rest of the night - I sleep with a heating pad on my back - has timer built in and shuts off after an hour and I have on lowest setting plus a shirt over it so I don't burn my back and I sleep with a pillow between my legs when I sleep on my left side (can't sleep on right - hurts too much) and pillow under my legs when sleeping at nite -

I usually get up and lay down in the recliner so I don't wake my hubby up.

there's really not much more I can do - I do have a surgeon that wants to try his Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant as his has flat panels instead of lead wires and says he gets a lot of great results. I'm just too afraid to try this again as the last one I had in 2008 (wire leads) did not work and caused more pains in my back.

I would rather have a pain pump implant where the meds are directed into the pain site thereby cutting down on the amount of pain meds i'm taking orally -

this is pretty much how I deal with it -

let us know a little about urself - you are responding to a post that is over 2 yrs old.
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center