Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
numbness after back surgery
Spohracres posted:
I had 2 discectomy and lamenectomy on Dec 20th, 2010 I have had
numbness and tingling on the left side of my leg since the surgery...
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas of why this is happening???

bj1208 responded:
Hi Spohracres - welcome to the support group -

Sometimes during back surgery the areas around the nerve roots (known as S1, S2, S3 etc) are touched/moved around - after surgery they can still be irritated to where they cause the symptoms you are feeling - these irritated nerve roots can take time to heal - sometimes a couple of weeks/months to several months possibly a year -

You should have some appointments set up with the surgeon for check-ups on your surgery - keep a log of your pains (what causes it to be more severe, less severe, etc) and take that to your appointments. The surgeon can let you know exactly what is going on -

There are times that the nerve root could have been damaged during the procedure, this is rare but could happen. As an example of what happened to me - I had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 on 2/25/08 - they removed my disc and put a plate, screws and cage in - My disc blew out in 5/06 - and it was pressing on the nerve root S1 - because of the time lag between when disc blew and my surgery (also changing jobs and changing insurance which caused changing doctors etc) the nerve root was damaged beyond repair - nerve roots can repair themselves if can be corrected before a year from injury date. So since my surgery (I fused 100% and healed 100%) they could not do anything for the low back pains or the leg pains - I just recently found out that when my disc blew it was pressing on the left S1 nerve root but also part of the disc was protruding on the right S1 nerve root - so I have nerve damage in both legs.

On rare occasions this could happen with disectomys/lamenectomys - so it would be beneficial to keep the log of pains and let you doctor know so he can also follow this -

Keep in mind, I'm not saying this is what's going on - but all pains etc should be kept on a log and discussed with your surgeon.

Please keep us updated as to what is going on - take care - ^ Joy ^

vesuvius13 responded:
Joy gave you a very good response about why you still have numbness following surgery. If you ever see a film on a back surgery you would be shocked at the force used during our surgeries. Nerves take a long time to heal so it may be a while before your numbness goes away.

Numbness can be a permanent condition however. I have had three spinal fusions and I have a large section of my abdomen that is numb even though the last fusion was 12 years ago. So many nerves were cut on my left side, all three surgeries were on the left, and they just will not grow back.

I hope you find that the numbness is a temporary condition and as you recover you notice it disappearing. I found with my fusions that it took 18 months to fully heal so be patient and focus on your recovery.

bj1208 replied to irisdalig's response:
Hi and thanks for providing the information - while impressive I have to wonder about this product as the FDA has not evaluated the statements and as being a supplement, the FDA may not have approved this product, as with lots of supplements/vitamins on the market.

I have nerve damage in both legs which was caused by a disc herniation pressing on the nerve roots. This damage cannot be reversed - which means the damage is beyond healing itself or by any type of surgery - and as that I would have a hard time believing that a product on the market has the capabilities to correct this.

thanks again for researching this product - ^ Joy ^

sham1313 responded:
I wish I could answer your question. but I have another kind of just like that. for over 28 years I have had numness that kind of numness in the back of my head with a head ake all the time. never no better then a 4 but can get much worse. It maybe Neuropathy, But I show no sign of having that they say there is 40% of people that is does not show up I have somany health issues but thought maybe know I have had that kind of nubness for a vert
take care and gb

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center