Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leg cramps and back spasms after lower back surgery
ddellis posted:
My husband had lower back surgery 4 days ago and has had severe leg cramps ( back of thighs) and severe back spasms. I have never seen such pain. I was wondering if you could tell me how long these will go on? I feel so bad cause there is nothing I can do while he is having these. They come on outta no where and are severe. He barely makes it back to the bed to lie down which seems to be his only comfort. I'm so afraid that he is going to collapse to the floor when he is having these. Thank you for any advise.

bj1208 responded:
hi ddellis - welcome to the support group -

what type of surgery did your husband have?

Having these types of cramps/spasms is unusual - you may want to call the surgeon and speak with him/her about this -

It could be that maybe your husband is up and around too much too soon after having surgery and is not getting the proper rest - rest is the best medicine for about the first couple of weeks.

Also, being sure that he drinks plenty of water may help with the cramps. massaging the back areas may cut down on the severity of the leg cramps.

The surgeon may have your husband take a muscle relaxer - this may help reduce the intensity but spasms happen for a reason - the surgeon may want to see your husband to make sure he's not overdoing it.

please let us know what happens - take care - ^ Joy ^

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center