Skip to content
discoloration of spine
An_189650 posted:
My daughter is 3 years old. She has a light brown discoloration over her spine. It is about at her waist and goes up about 5 inches. It looks like the middle stage of a bruise but it is always there. My son had a slight discoloration when he was young but it was very small and went away eventually. Any ideas on what could cause this??

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

we are lay people that help others with our experiences and cannot diagnose per the guidelines of WEBMD - we do have a physician that frequents the board but his schedule has been very busy and he has not been on in quite a while -

what I would suggest is at her next check-up with her pediatrician have him/her look at it - it could be nothing - but worth mentioning - also that ur son had it and it went away -

the only concern would be if she is complaining of back pains then I would get her in to see her doc sooner.

let us know if something should come up - take care - ^Joy^

charl1942 responded:
Your daughter sounds like she is of latin or dark colored skin. Maybe a mix of darker and white skin. If so, she will also loose the discoloration as she ages. My grand daughter and grandson both had the discoloration similar to what you have discribed. The parents knew what to expect and it did not frighten them. The children are of a ( dark skined) Latin American father and a blonde haired mother. They both lost the discoloration some time in their early years.

If this is not the case, or if she is complaning of back pain, or behaves like she has pain, I would seek medical treatment as soon as possistive.

Helpful Tips

MRI Results of Back Help
Just received my MRI and need to wait 2 weeks for my follow up appointment. Can anyone help me read the results and let me know how serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center