Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Worried about back issues, getting worse and worse today
CRP1190 posted:
I have been having some soreness in my back all week, but that has been normal for me as I have had some issues in the past in my shoulders and I sprained my tailbone when I was younger. This is a lot different though.

When I was in the shower, not doing anything strenuous. I was literally just turning around in a normal way, not reaching for anything or bending down and heard an audible "pop" and felt a slight twinge in the middle of my back.

From that point, I can't straighten out my back without pain and walk hunched over. Then when I sit down, it is very painful unless I sit back completely against the couch, kind of hunched over backward.

Just now I started experiencing VERY intense pain on the right side of my lower back like I have never felt before. It actually caused tears in my eyes and I couldn't ignore it or focus on anything else.

I'm wondering what could possibly be going on. If this keeps up I will obviously be making a stop at the doctor's tomorrow.

dianer01 responded:
Hi CRP and Welcome:

Going to the doctor is probably a good idea if you are in that much pain or cannot stand up straight. You may want to try an ice pack for the pain.

Please let us know how you are doing...

di

jrdhouston responded:
Hello CPR,
Consider asking your doctor to order an MRI, this will help identify any issues before a treatment plan is put in place.

Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
Your story is a common one. The good news is that the vast majority (90%) of episodes like this resolve on their own in the first few weeks regardless of the actual source of the pain. This may be an injury to a disc or ligament. An MRI is NOT needed immediately unless there are "red flags" such as weakness of the legs, loss of bladder control or a history of cancer. If the pain is intolerable then seeing your doctor is recommended. A day or so of some bedrest, hot showers and an anti inflammatory usually helps. Pain that starts radiating down the leg should prompt a visit to your medical doctor or orthopaedist sooner. Hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Ben-Yishay

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center