Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Cervical Fusion with Post Head Shakes
Judy4Peace posted:
In December,2010 I had my C4-5-6-7 fused. All went well with minimum pain. I have great range of motion, headaches 1 or 2 a week instead of daily ( for 2 years after a fall), have not had physical therapy as yet. It is now nearly April 1, 2011, for the past 6 weeks I have had involentary head shakes. Mainly at night when I sleep, I'm awakened by them. They started out 1 to 3 a night, now it happens 10 or more a night, and it has happened 4 times during the day while standing and once while in the dentist chair (freaked out my dentist!). My surgeon has never heard of this and acted offended when I shared this with him. Who else could I have told? He referred me to an Neuroligist who I see next week after a CT of my head and neck. I take medication for spasms which works for approx:5 hours. Anyone else experience this? I can feel the spasm coming if I'm awake, I get a severe chill-like feeling across the back of myneck and across from shoulder to shoulder, and a tightening feeling in my throat/neck muscle. Anyone with simular or same I'd love to hear from, so I don't feel like I'm going nuts!! Thanks

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group - sorry it's taken a while to answer your post - it's usually pretty slow on the weekends -

I've been a member of this support group for 5 years now and have never heard anyone describe anything like this -

I think the best thing is to wait til you see the neurologist - which he/she will do a complete examination to determine where or what is causing this -

please keep us posted as to what you find out - take care - ^Joy^

Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
Judy

This is very unusual and probably not at all related to your cervical spine surgery. Seeing a neurologist is definitely the way to go on this one. This may be medication related but a CT of the brain should be reviewed as well.
N

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center