Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Question for Doctors
bj1208 posted:
Hi there - I have a question for you all -

My story, in brief, L5-S1 disc blew out in 5/06 - went for all treatments: steroid injections, pain injections, facet joint injections, piriformis injections, physical therapy, chiropractic care, TENS Unit, Spinal Cord Stimulator Trial Implant - All treatments have failed and finally had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 (done 2/08) -and have been in worse pain than before the surgery. Since my surgery, I have found out from OSS that I have 3 more slightly bulging discs at L4, L3 and L2 -I have seen 3 OSS in the last year and they have all agreed that surgery would not be an option as it would only add to my pains and not make them better.

2 years ago I started seeing a Physiatrist Pain Management Clinic - they have me on 60mg Morphine Sulfate 4X Daily, 15mg Oxycodone 6X Daily, 3600mg gabapentin daily and have been on this same dosage since. As it goes, I am becoming immune to the meds and in more pain.
The PA and Physician I see have stated that I am at the limit of the amount of pain meds taken each day. They did try methadone and I found out I was allergic (hives) - Opana (have insurance where we pay out of pocket and mail-in for reimbursement) but a 30 day supply was over $1,000.00 - so I was put back on the Morphine/Oxycodone.

My only option now is to get the pain pump implant.

I would like your opinion as to the thought of am I really taking the highest dosage amount of morphine/oxycodone and since I am in such bad chronic pain would the pain pump be a good solution?

Let me know if u have questions - thanks much! ^Joy^

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:
Dear Joy,

You are currently taking "industrial" amounts of narcotic and other medications for pain control as prescribed by your Physiatrist. I can certainly understand your desire to reduce your long-term dependency on these drugs, and I support it. As an orthopaedic spine surgeon, pain pumps are outside of my personal expertise, but it sounds like you might be a reasonable candidate having exhausted most alternatives. I am also in agreement witht the other surgeons who told you that additional spine surgery is not a good option for you.

Don't loose hope and please keep us updated.

bj1208 replied to Rafael Levin, MD, MSc's response:
Dr. Levin - thanks so much for responding - no one really said I was taking so much pain meds - most of my friends and family are amazed that I'm not a zombie but as I said I've gotten so immune to them they hardly phase me. I do want to get back to a more normal life style and reduce any chances of damages to my liver from long term use.

I forgot to mention with the nerve damage in both legs - my left leg is worse where I do wear a leg brace - drop foot - with the brace my leg is getting a little stronger - I am going for an EMG Nerve Conduction Test the 6th (oh how I love those! LOL) but at least it will let the Physiatrist know if the other discs are impinging nerve roots and may need to have a current MRI done -

I will keep u updated with the results - thanks again! Joy

Helpful Tips

marybear53
I have had relief from facet injections in my lower back. My pain management doctor told me that surgery is not, and will not be an option. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center