Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Does swelling affect MRI results?
Elizabeth1007 posted:
A Co-workers husband was hurt at work. He can't walk and is in major pain. The doctor said he won't order an MRI until the swelling goes down. All they do is give him Rx's. Is that right?

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome - i'm not sure about the swelling - but I would suggest that your co-workers husband hire an attorney that handles worker's comp claims - woker's comp looks after the company but does not look after the employees rights - this is where he needs an attorney to look after his rights -

this is the only way to know if he is getting the proper care he needs -

please relay this message to him - hope everything works out - keep us posted - Joy

Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
Elizabeth
It sounds like there may have been some misunderstanding between the doctor and patient. "Swelling" has no impact on a spine MRI. Although he may have thought the patient would be too uncomfortable because of his acute pain to lie still through a 45 minute long MRI--which probably was not medically indicated.

MRI's are very rarely necessary so soon after an injury unless there is a very significant trauma (ie: a 20 foot fall or a car accident) causing significant trauma to the spine or if there is some sort of sign of nerve compression ( pain shooting into the legs).

hope this helps

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center