Skip to content
Pain from Hitting Head
bstauffer posted:
Three days ago I banged the top of my head on our kitchen counter. (Rising up from a crouching position full force.) Ever since, I have experienced soreness in my shoulder/lower neck area, around my shoulder blade and lower back. Would this be considered whiplash? From what I read on WebMD, this very well could be it. I have no other symptoms from hitting my head other than a very tender spot on my noggin.

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I don't know if I would call this whiplash - I've done this before (and just happened to have done this this morning! LOL) and think it has to do with the way you hit ur head that we tend to tense up the upper part of the body causing the muscles to react to the impact - gosh in reading this it tends to sound like it - but I really think it's mild and nothing to worry about - as you hit ur head you tend to lower your head back down as the shoulder area comes up -

your muscles are reacting to this 'hit' so u may notice this for a day or two but don't think it's anything to worry about -

whiplash affects the area impact on a tremendous force - my son-n-law just had a car accident where the airbag was deployed and the force from his head going forward and then backwards caused such a whiplash affect - he can hardly turn his head and his neck is really sore -

so what u have experienced is not what I would call a whiplash but just a reaction of the muscles -

hope this helps - take care - Joy

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group - I had just responded but received an error message on the post - so am gonna try and write it down again! LOL

I don't think this is whiplash - even though u are hitting ur head full force - this could be from that or it could be from when you were sleeping you slept on your neck area wrong and it has affected your shoulder area -

my son-n-law just had a car accident where the air bag deployed and the force from his head going into airbag then hitting the head rest was enough to cause whiplash - he can't turn is head or bend head forward/backward -

hope this helps - take care - Joy

Helpful Tips

Spinal fusion
I had lumbar fusion at L 4-5, L5-S1 19 years ago with limited success. I have been disabled because of pain, but I still consider the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center