Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
lower right back pain and right hip pain
christina1215 posted:
hello i am new to this community and web MD, so im not sure if i am doing this right, but anywho... my lower right back has a burning pain all day everyday, the only time it feels better is when i am stretching. i have had this for about 2 years now and it is now affecting my right hip/ leg and butt check. I cant even sleep on my right side, and i went to chiropractor and they say i should get adjusted so i went to my orthopedic and he says there is anything really wrong and they just want my money, which i dont have, i am a full time student and a single mother, its driving me crazy and affecting my daily mood.... i need help please!! what else could it be if it isnt my spine
bj1208 responded:
Hi and welcome to the support group -

I'm not sure what type of doctors you have seen, but you should be examined by either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist and have either an MRI or CT Scan done -

From what you are describing it sounds as though you may have a pinched nerve - the physicians should be able to determine this and will be able to prescribe the right kind of treatments.

It's best to get a physicians directive to any type of physical therapy or chiropractic care as they will know exactly what needs to be worked on based on their examinations and MRI/CT Scans -

I know you are limited on funds but you should be able to find a teaching college which may offer reduced treatments - sometimes there are free clinics too that will take you based on your income.

when sleeping at night - it's best to sleep with a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side and try to pull yourself up into a fetal position - this will help with some of the pains - if sleeping on your back use a pillow under your knees to help keep the pressure off the hips/buttocks area. if you you have a recliner try sleeping in that to see if that helps.

I hope this helps - please keep us posted - take care - Joy
Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:

If you have been having ongoing lower back and buttock pain the first thing you should do is have a spine specialist examine you to see if the pain is related to the spine or the hip. It sounds more likely from your description that it is spine related and the pain in the lower back and butt may be from a degenerated disc or disc herniation pinching a nerve.
I agree that you will likely need an MRI of the spine but before that you need a good physical examination by an orthopedic spine specialist since they are more familiar with performing a good examination of the hip and spine.
I hope this is helpful
hubertg responded:
hey did you find out what was wrong with your back ? My Mom is having the same thing and cant sleep in hte bed at night
bj1208 replied to hubertg's response:
hi hubertg -

I just wanted to bring to your attention that you are responding to posts from 2 yrs ago.

If you would, please give us a little detail of what is wrong with your mom, or have her post what is wrong. we may be able to offer suggestions for what she may need to do.
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Snake Venom for Pain
By Jon Bardin October 3, 2012, 12:52 p.m. Nobody wants to be bitten by a black mamba. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world, its ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center