Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Back pain sufferer
BackWRM posted:
Hello. This is my first post and I just found your Community yesterday. I have suffered with a bad back for years. Over 12 years ago I herniated two lower discs and they caused so much pain for many years. I tried everything I could. Eventually I lived with the pain and they flared up on occasion.

Recently I herniated the same two discs and although the pain is not as severe the constant back ache became too much. My primary MD started me on Cymbalta for nerve pain and for the depression that had began after the six month period. The following week I had a nerve block injection. I was great for over a month and then could tell when the block began to wear off. I think the Cymbalta has made the difference in not allowing all of the pain to return.

I also recently researched a permanent nerve block and have started the paperwork on that. No more steroids (no weight gain). It is not permanent; two plus years as nerves do grow back. But anxious for this procedure.

I also wanted to share that physical therapy did not work for me. It served as an irritant. After several other discussions with friends and co-workers I found this was not that uncommon.

I will keep watching and hope everyone good success in getting relief.
I am 50 and too young to be worried about pain.
Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
Hi. I'm really not sure from your story what "permanent" nerve block you could be considering. If your pain is coming from the 2 herniated discs in your low back, there is NO BLOCK that is for this purpose. The only "permanent" block would be a Radiofrequency denervation for the Facet joints and that would only work if that is where the pain is coming from. make sure you understand what is going on and ask your doctor more questions. Good luck.
Dr. Ben Yishay

Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center