Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
lower back /sever nerve leg pain
painbear posted:
just had a selective nerve root block in the L5 and now my leg has more spasm and cramping, when i go to the stores my leg buckles good thing i have a cane or i would be on the floor. has anyone had this before and experenced this . i have been through alot also on fetanal patchs for pain and other pills for nerve pain had 2 surgeries sinces 07.still suffering dont now what else to do .pain management is trying everything.
pianbear

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

when u had this done did u notice that they were hitting certain nerve roots? i know when I had mine done I had to tell him where he was hitting so that he could avoid hitting certain nerve roots as those could cause problems -

how long ago did u have this done? are you keeping a log? write everything down and call your pain doc in the morning - it doesn't sound as though this should happen like that -

i've had numerous treatments done both before and after my surgery and still have problems with chronic low back pains and permanent nerve damage in both legs.

but I would call the pain doc tomorrow and let him/her know what you are experiencing - if this was just done it could be just a slight irritation of the nerve root - but do call -

let us know what happens - take care - Joy

painbear replied to bj1208's response:
thanks ijust had it done on may 4th ya he asked me if this was the right nerve before he injected all the way it was i felt fine for the first week but then all this came on i had this before i was on meds .the reason they did the nerve root was for the pain and cause i couldn't sleep cause i couldn't find a comfortable place and now i can't get my leg to get comfortable its like trial and era i know he means well ive tried 6 diffrent meds for the nerves so he wanted to try this i wont do this again . i heard of a someone had there nerve burnerd so it could regrow or somthing like that i was going to mention it to my pain doctor on june 1st.
ill let u know more later painbear

bj1208 replied to painbear's response:
hi - and yes the radio frequency nerve ablation (burning of the nerves) does not last - they can grow back in as fast as a week or month etc. some have had great success with this lasting a year while other (me for one) had it done 2 times and it did nothing -

There are 2 meds out there that does help with the nerve pains - one is Neurontin (gabapentin is generic) and Lyrica - I take neurontin for mine and have been on that for 3 years - it does great and I do notice if I miss a dose -

regarding sleeping - use extra pillows - put pillows between ur legs when sleeping on ur side or under you knees when sleeping on ur back (dont sleep on stomach - big no no for back problems) -

try to sleep in a more reclining position - this seems to help me a lot -

hope this helps - keep me posted - Joy

painbear replied to bj1208's response:
tried the neurontin and lyrica it had no affect on me . they have me on zonegran i take it at bedtime 400 mg a night its not helping i keep telling them somthing is wrong in my back i think my disc might of reherniated again but they dont listen they think its authritist or scare tissue . i can take pain but when it gets bad its bad the cramps and spasam are somtimes unberaable i go next week to see the doc and i am going to tell him dont now what he will do .i also tried the pillows like u were saying when i was going to therapy thats how they told me but it makes it worse im going to give this place one more chance and then im headeing to boston

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:
Dear Painbear,

By now you have had two discectomies over the course of the past 3-4 years and it seems that unfortunately are still having significant chronic L5 radiculopathy. Though I am not certain as to what is your current pathology, it is possible that you have a degree of intrinsik nerve injury that may not predictably improve with a third surgery to address scar tissue. In this scenario, if there is no significant compression from a reherniation or evidence of instability, and if your leg pain is dominant (over low back pain) you may want to consider a spinal cord stimulator trial. You should discuss this option with your pain management physician and/or surgeon.

I wish you all the best and hope you soon find pain relief.

painbear replied to Rafael Levin, MD, MSc's response:
we have discussed a spinal cord stimulator and im not a canidate for it . i also only had one discectomie and the other one was a lamerectomie almost simlar to it but more where they put something in the left side on my last mri it showed it was slightly defected and i had more bulging disc in the l4 l5 area s1 and stuff like i no its not getting better its getting worts there just trying to keep me comfortable they said they didnt want to do any surgery at this time back in 08 they did mention fusion but im to young to go through that that is a last option but thanks for your advice

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center