Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question for Doctors
bj1208 posted:
Hi all -

I had x-rays taken yesterday - both flexion and extension - the reason for this is over the last couple of years (at least 2) I have been experiencing an increase in pain in my lower back (had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 3 1/2 years ago) and also in both legs (severe nerve damage in left and right leg is getting worse). I have also had this weird clicking in my lower back - best described as though bones are rubbing against each other. My PA @ pain clinic thought maybe this was arthritis and told me to take ibuprofen - At my last pain visit on 6/1 I told the PA that I have been taking ibuprofen since given the ok after my back surgery. This has not helped with the 'clicking' and that I didn't think it was arthritis.

So I had the x-rays done - here are the findings:

1) Mild Levoscoliosis (whiich I knew about already)

2) Mild L4-L5 Anterolisthesis with Flexion measuring 2mm which reduced with extenion - Mild motion L4-L5 probably related to Posterior Element Arthritis

I do have a call into my PA @ pain clinic and am waiting for call back hoping this is done before days end as it is Friday and really want some answers before Monday.

I am concerned with the clicking that I feel which is the L4-L5 as this has been going on for a couple of years and is getting worse. When I looked the Anterolisthesis up the reference was generally made this is caused by a fracture. As my L5 disc is a fusion could this have caused a fracture in the L4-5 disc? I have tried physical therapy in the past and it has made my pains worse so am I looking at possibly having a fusion done?

I know I can't hold anything that is said and most is being said as a support group, but wanted to get your input on this -

Thanks much ~~ Joy

bj1208 responded:
pushing this to top~

orangetabby responded:
bj,

This is spondylolisthesis. You can probably find a whole lot more info if you search on that rather than anterolisthesis. I guess that the main concern that the docs would have is with the fact that this not stable from flexion to extension.

orange

bj1208 replied to orangetabby's response:
hi orange - ya I did a lot of research as it relates to that - guess my main concern is will I have to have surgery to correct this - most of my research states it is caused by a fracture in the disc and I can only surmise this has come about from my plate being beneath this disc -

it's just funny that this has been going on for 2 years and now they are listening to me more.

I have been taking ibuprofen every day since I was given ok after my back surgery - so that's 3 years - I've had numerous physical therapy treatments after my surgery and even chiropractic treatments (no stretching - just heat and tens unit treatments) - and I've been wearing my back brace since before surgery.

it's ironic that the symptoms of this is what I have been having since my surgery so am wondering if this was present then and they didn't see it til it slipped more to where it's visible now.

Oh so many questions I will have for my PA on Monday! LOL think the main thing is I'm scared to have another surgery -

Thanks for response Orange - glad to see ya around - take care - Joy

orangetabby replied to bj1208's response:
bj,

I've been living with this w/o surgery for some years. Yours is probably a grade I which is good. Again, I'd say the question is what the docs decide about the instability.

From what I read, it is not a fracture in the disc, per se, but a fracture or defect in the pars thingy. Often we have no idea how long we have had this before it really started bothering us? It is often hard to say and they may just go with the degenerative diagnosis.

This is also something that probably is easier to see and diagnose via the older and simpler method of having x-rays. MRI's have their uses and x-rays have their uses. Good thing you finally went low-tech and may have found what is really causing that pesky and debilitating low back pain.

Every once in awhile I look in on the board..... orange

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center