Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Post Op from L4L5 diskectomy
donanddianec posted:
Hello to the group. Just joined courtesy of a L4L5 diskectomy aboiut 5 days ago.
two issues: trying to rehab WITHOUT pain meds, and doing OK, though have "sciatic" pain on right side, numb right toe/foot/calf -- all predicted by the Doc and seemingly common with folks of this community -- nice to know this is "normal".
The Odd thing is that I lost 5 pounds since the surgery (mostly from fasting the day of I'm guessing), but not really gaining it back.
My question is: does the dealing with the residual pain (without meds) burn calories such that weight gain isn't as easy as I would think ??
Stats: 63 YrMale, was at 185, now 180 lbs...
(Hey, at least I'm right in the green area of the BMI chart now !!)
thanks for any thoughts.
don

bj1208 responded:
hi - when I had my back surgery I lost a good 25 lbs - mainly because of the amount of pain I was in even though I was taking pain meds - just wasn't hungry - I did eat just very small baby size portions -

so losing weight is a common factor with surgery -

hope this helps - just take it easy and don't do anything that you're not supposed to as far as rehab -

take care - Joy

donanddianec replied to bj1208's response:
thank you for your help.. Yep, first time for a surgery, pretty blessed so far!!

My diet, so far, has been pretty much normal, so, the weight loss must have all happened on the day before and day after surgery when I was either fasting (per instructions) or not eating due to the anesthesia buzz...
I might as well go with it and try enjoy the more slender "me" hehee..

as far as pain goes (with out meds) nightime is the worst with only very minor throbbing during the day, even with prescribed "walking" sessions. Again, tolerable, but interesting.

Don

Again thanks
Don

Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
In general, we don't see significant weight loss directly as a result of surgery. Start eating and I bet the weight goes back on....if that's what you really want!
Dr Ben Yishay

bj1208 replied to Ari Ben-Yishay, MD's response:
Hi I guess I should re-state that - my weight loss, even my surgeon's PA said most patients do lose some weight, but my hubby was working in another state - my father-n-law and I were the only ones home - and my father-n-law never came in to check on me - he would make breakfast lunch and dinner and would knock on my door and yell that there was food - so I was on my own trying to get out of bed (Anterior Lumbar Fusion) by my self - and with a big back brace on (turtle shell on backside with wrap-around velcro for the mid section -

believe me it was easier to just skip meals than to try and get up - my father-n-law has muscles pulled from both shoulders and couldn't help me even if he tried! so I was left to fend for myself -

My PA did say that most patience do lose weight - just from the trauma of the operation and the strong pain pills.

guess some doc's have difference of opinions - and too much weight loss is not good - but once I was able to do more (after a couple of weeks) I was able to start eating more -

take care and keep us posted - Joy

Helpful Tips

How I got rid of 2 1/2 years of sciatic pain
I had sciatic pain for over 2 years went to chiropractor twice a week for months, tried acupunture and ever nasd and pain pill out there. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center