Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Post ACDF throat lump...
ErinEC posted:
So I had ACDF surgery on May 2nd, so today I am 7 weeks post op. Feeling GREAT! Right after surgery for a couple weeks I had the lump in my throat and it went away. Well the past few days, its come back. I was totally fine, no issues and now its back. Has anyone else dealt with this??

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I don't believe I have seen any members post anything about this -

you should contact your surgeon, or assistant, and ask if this is normal.

Please keep us posted - take care - Joy

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:
Dear Erin,

Glad to hear your ACDF was successful. I have certainly seen cases in which a "lump in the throat" sensation persisted for a few weeks or even longer, but in the vast majority of cases, this sensation should resolve over time. Very few patients have persistent swallowing discomfort 3 months post surgery. Your surgeon will most likely order a radiograph of the cervical spine on your next follow up visit to reasure that the plate and screws have not migrated. This would be very unlikely, and in all likelihood your lump will resolve on its own.

I wish you a quick recovery.

ErinEC replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks!
I did... we're getting an xray done hopefully today! I'll update as soon as I have more answers

Erin

nycgirlie4 replied to ErinEC's response:
Hi Erin I had the complications of the throat as well. I was great in the hospital and for the fist week, then i couldnt swallow! It did last four to five weeks. The most annoying and the lump, something is stuck in my throat feeling. It just gradually went away. The doc did put me on medrol dose pak though.

tshotdan replied to Rafael Levin, MD, MSc's response:
Thanks Doc,

Just had mine 5 weeks ago and was getting worried. Not feeling so normal anymore...had my apt with my surgeon yesterday and he said it was the intubation....but yes one worries. I feel so restricted but I am sure it just needs to heal properly. Surgery and xray looked good yesterday.

Thanks for your answer

cyndidee replied to Rafael Levin, MD, MSc's response:
2 months ago I had anterior Cervical fusion surgery, since the operation I have been woken up numerous times in the middle of the night, and every morning with a pounding headache in the back base of my skull. My surgeon gave me two shots in my skull he said they were nerve blockers for the occipital nerve, the blockers lasted 2 and a half weeks, the headaches are horrendous again, he suggested I go see a neurologist now. I know cervical surgery can cause problems with the occipital nerve, and I can be truthful when I say I have had about 8 headaches in my 45 years of life.
I am so depressed from this, I have sat in bed sometimes for days due to depression and headaches.
Also I still am having a bad time swallowing since the surgery even saliva is difficult, my surgeon keeps telling me it's normal...
Please if anyone else has had this surgery and had gone through this too I would love to get some suggestions.
I cry almost every day with this problem, it's put me in such a slump.
Thanks

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center