Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Post ACDF throat lump...
ErinEC posted:
So I had ACDF surgery on May 2nd, so today I am 7 weeks post op. Feeling GREAT! Right after surgery for a couple weeks I had the lump in my throat and it went away. Well the past few days, its come back. I was totally fine, no issues and now its back. Has anyone else dealt with this??

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I don't believe I have seen any members post anything about this -

you should contact your surgeon, or assistant, and ask if this is normal.

Please keep us posted - take care - Joy

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:
Dear Erin,

Glad to hear your ACDF was successful. I have certainly seen cases in which a "lump in the throat" sensation persisted for a few weeks or even longer, but in the vast majority of cases, this sensation should resolve over time. Very few patients have persistent swallowing discomfort 3 months post surgery. Your surgeon will most likely order a radiograph of the cervical spine on your next follow up visit to reasure that the plate and screws have not migrated. This would be very unlikely, and in all likelihood your lump will resolve on its own.

I wish you a quick recovery.

ErinEC replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks!
I did... we're getting an xray done hopefully today! I'll update as soon as I have more answers

Erin

nycgirlie4 replied to ErinEC's response:
Hi Erin I had the complications of the throat as well. I was great in the hospital and for the fist week, then i couldnt swallow! It did last four to five weeks. The most annoying and the lump, something is stuck in my throat feeling. It just gradually went away. The doc did put me on medrol dose pak though.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center