Skip to content
removal of coccyx (tailbone)
charl1942 posted:
I have suffered with pain when sitting and lying down for about 3 years now. I have had four procedures in an attempt to alleviate the pain, but to no avail. I have to take pain
medication as you do, to continue a halfway normal life. The pain management doctor said the only other alternative is a phycologist. She also told me if I decide to have the tailbone removed to be sure to use someone who has done this procedure many successful times.

I have researched and found three in my state. Two are within 90 miles of me and the third about 7 hours away. I have contacted three people who have had one physician do the surgery for them. They seem very happy the surgery was done.
My tailbone is severed from the sacrum and leans to the side in an L shape. This was discovered when the first procedure was done. So I am sitting on nerves and when lying on my side my body feels like my hips weigh a hundred pounds. The pains stay with me until the medication of Amitriptomine takes affect.

Since I hopfully have a bigger audience here and because I have used this site before I would like other opinions about whether this will heal on it's own or should I continue on with the surgery if the surgeon feels it necessary for quality of life? Please post if you have any suggestions of your experience or that of a loved one. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

bj1208 responded:
Hi Charl1942 -

I know we have had a couple of members post questions regarding the same as yours and hopefully you will have more people respond -

You may also want to direct your questions to the doctors to see what they have done for treatments -

talk to you later - love ya, sissy

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center