Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Halo brace hell
Mikey7108088 posted:
I have been in a halo neck brace for about 7 weeks, to treat a Type 2 odontoid fracture. It's been relatively smooth sailing for the first 6 weeks, then for whatever reason, it's been very rough the past several days. Discomfort behind my front pin sites when I walk, aching/pressure sensation when I sit up from a chair or get up from a bed in my forehead/skull/behind my ears...I went to my doctor last week to make sure nothing was lose, and he confirmed it was tightly on. But it still continues.None of the pin sites are infected, and the halo is indeed firmly on.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I am scheduled to get a CAT scan next week and my doctor is optimistic, based on my age/health, that it will be healed enough to come off then. However, I'm not sure I can last till next week.

Any insight/advice would be great.

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I'm not familiar with this type of brace- but am wondering if maybe this might be a sign of everything healing -

I do know that sometimes after surgery the healing process starts and at first may not feel anything - then once the full stream of healing starts the pains etc start to set in and the healing process feels bad - pain, itching, burning etc., sometimes lasting a while.

you may want to discuss this with ur surgeon and see if this is what's going on -

please keep us posted - take care - Joy

Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
Sorry you are having so much discomfort. Your treating doctor has done the right thing making sure there is no sign of loosening or infection. I would wait on the CT and see what he says about getting the halo removed.
I hope you feel better

davepeak25 replied to Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA's response:
had a halo for 11 weeks and pain in a pin site is a sign that the pin has come loose from the skull........i spent 5 hours in emerg and they assured me they were fine after retorquing them all......but it was clearly loose on my skull when i got home........they then took it off as the other option was to put in a new pin beside the old one..........mine came off and i get the ct scan a week later.............talk about screwing up the order.........also be prepared for pain when it comes off........its a big adjustment after wearing it a long time.....docs never warned me about that.....i ve been told i ll feel dizzy and crappy a week and then i should feel better.......this by my home care girl who had neck surgery.....docs not so much............anyway hope this helps........sounds like yours will be removed........dont make the mistake i made and not shave or wash your hair......my thinking was i could more easily do it once i had the collar..........and now i have a beard i cant get off under my collar and dirty hair i cant wash.......again docs didnt tell me anything.......so shave........get your hair washed......and you ll be prepared for when it comes off.......hope this helps

LeeLee27892 replied to davepeak25's response:
how long do you have to wear the hard collar? will you wear a soft collar? and do you ever get to take the collar off? how much pain did you have after the halo came off?? sorry for all the questions, my son is in a Halo right now and i just want to be prepared and his1st outpt appt with the surgeon is not for weeks.

bj1208 replied to LeeLee27892's response:
Hi LeeLee27892 - welcome to the support group -

you were asking a question to a post from Davepeak25 and I just wanted to let you know his post and the others with this are from a year ago and longer.

We have not had anymore posts from either one, Davepeak or Mikey.

I do have a couple of questions for you about your son -

where was his surgery (which disc or discs)? How long ago was the surgery? Did the surgeon give any type of guidelines of what they thought how long your son would be in the collar?

Everyone is different and heals differently. Also every surgeon is different and will use different techniques.

please let us know a little more so that we can try to help you.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center