Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    back injury
    justinbp2004 posted:
    can mild levoscoliosis be brought on by a back injury? i had a fall at workand i went to hospital and i saw this in my records. Can this be brought on by the fall if it was never seen in any mri or x rays in the past?
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    I did some research and found this site for the levoscolosis - it's hard to say what may have caused this - hopefully you can find some answers here -

    you should schedule an appointment with an Orthopedic Spine Specialist and have this reviewed to determine what treatment options are available.

    Hope this site helps - please keep us posted - take case - Joy
    Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
    An acute injury would not cause levoscoliosis. This may have been missed in the past or mild and now simply worsening.
    Brockhold replied to Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA's response:
    I have been experiencing lower back pain for the past 2 weeks and it is becoming severely debilitating.

    I experienced this once about 1 year ago and ended up going to the ER, I was told to rest and prescribed Flexirol and Vicodin, as well as charged a $7,000 hospital bill for 3.5 hours. The cause seemed to be carrying furniture up stairs and then later aggravated by twisting while on a ladder.

    It then came back about a month ago for no apparent reason other than driving for a long period of time. This time I first went and got a deep tissue massage, which did not seem to help. After that I saw a chiropractor and it seemed to be immediately cured after just two adjustments.

    Now that its back I have been to the chiropractor 5 times and it is not getting better.

    Began with lower back pain just above my waistline, seems worse on the right side, at least in the beginning.

    I get severe muscle spasms (knots) in my lower back, bigger on the right side. But has moved to my buttox and thighs having sharp pains.

    Sitting seems to be the cause of the pain, the more I sit the more severe it is. Standing and more specifically being active while standing seems to make the pain subside.

    Laying down does not seem to help at all, as each morning when I wake up it is very aggravated and painful.

    I can lift heavy objects without it getting any worse.


    After doing research it seems to me that my problem is Piriformis syndrome the only thing that does not make sense from what I have found, is that it started in my lower back and moved down, from what I have read Piriformis syndrome seems to be limited to the buttox and legs?

    Thank you in advance for your help, I do not have health insurance and can not afford to see a Doctor, but this is becoming severe and difficult to live with.
    Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA replied to Brockhold's response:
    From your description I do not believe you have Piriformis syndrome, but you may instead have back pain from a degenerated disc or disc herniation . It is, of course, hard to say without examining you. It is a good sign that you feel somewhat better while being active. If your pain is coming from a disc problem the good news is that it should improve in time. If your symptoms do not continue to improve you should see a physician for a proper evaluation and exam.
    deewithpain replied to Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA's response:
    I was dx with a mild form of scoliosis at the age of 10. As the curve was not severe and did not cause pain or extreme posture change, no treatment was done. At the age of 20 I became pregnant. During my second trimester I started to notice extreme lumbar and some cervical discomfort. I was told by physicians it went with the territory of pregnancy despite my history of scoliosis. After I had my son I began to exercise, primarily running, to lose the weight I had gained. Gradually my back pain progressed. I tried acupuncture and chiropractics without success. Finally at around the age of 26-27 the pain had become unbearable. I decided it might be time to see an orthopedic surgeon. X-rays and MRIs confirmed I had Levo scoliosis with a 25"022 curve. I began pain medication, PT, and eventually lumbar epidural injection (with zero relief). The doctor suggested a fusion of my L4 and L5. I was not convinced of this so he referred me to a pain management clinic. Since, I have been on medication for nearly 3 years, along with daily stretching and awareness of ergonomics and posture. I also had a cervical rib resection done due to thoracic outlet that caused numbness, pain, and circulation issues and flared up Reynauds severely. This was a successful surgery and those symptoms have subsided considerably, yet i still deal with the daily struggle of lumbar agony. I had another MRI recently which showed little progression of the curvature but with lumbar spondylosis with encroachment from disc degeneration. I am sick of drug therapy and want it to just go away! The dr I saw was a neurosurgeon who said I was not yet a candidate for spinal surgery but can count on it within the next 10years. What do I do at this point?! Stay on medication? There has to be something else out there to help.
    jm1960 replied to deewithpain's response:
    Hi and welcome to the support group

    I wanted to let you know that WEBMD no longer have physicians that respond to posts. We are all lay people who suffer from spine conditions so we will help you as much as we can!

    sorry it has taken so long to respond. I thought your post had already been answered.

    I'm not sure what type of pain doc you have seen but most of us here like to see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Specialist as they go deeper into pain management control based on patients' needs and treat from where the pains are coming from and not the symptoms.. Most of the pain specialists have a set of spine specialist they work with too so if you need to see one they can help you with that.

    the pain specialist will examine you and let you know what your options are. IMHO I believe this is the best course of treatment for you

    please keep us posted how you are doing and what you find out. Take care. Joy

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center