Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Questions for Doctors!
JerryRandall posted:
To all of the medical professionals who may read this:

I went to consultation and my prospective doctor told me I have really bad stenosis and overgrown bone on my L4-L5 vertebrae. I know people who have had similar pain to mine and have gotten spinal fusion and hated it, got no better! I am too young to be in this much pain and have a bad surgery. My question to you is, how credible is this arthroscopic laser surgery? Every patient I've talked to is very happy with their results. Want to hear it from a doc though!

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:
Dear Mr. Randall,

The majority of patients with severe symptomatic stenosis such as you may have at L4-5 do not require a fusion. Surgery which is typically indicated as a last resort after failure of non-operative interventions (therapy, medications, epidural injections, etc) usually involves a decompression. This procedure can often be done minimally invasively and as an out-patient procedure. The use of a Laser is most likely irrelevant in this case, though Endoscopic decompression might be appropriate depending on your specific condition. Regardless of technique, in general, you have to remember that surgical intervention for stenosis is more predictable for relief of your lower extremity pain and somewhat less predictable for relief of back pain. If a surgeon recommended you to have a fusion operation based on your specific diagnosis, it would be very reasonable for you to obtain a second opinion before proceeding.

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center