Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OT - Pet Loss And Gain
davedsel57 posted:
Hello, everyone. I decided to share some news about our pets here.

Sad news about our 4 year old Shih-Tzu, Daisy.

On her 4th birthday, 7/10/11, Daisy somehow contracted an unknown infection. There was a bump above her left eye and the vet thought she was poked by a stick somewhere in the back yard. He prescribed antibiotics and she seemed to respond. On Tue. 7/12/11 she took a turn for the worse so we took her back to the vet and they put her in their ICU and suspected (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1556&aid=454 ). They were looking at the bump above her left eye and realized a fly had laid its eggs there and the larva had hatched. They removed the larva but she just kept getting sicker. On Friday, 7/15/11, the vet called us about 5:00 pm saying Daisy was in full renal failure despite all their attempts to stop this. We went and at 6:30 pm made the difficult decision to put our Daisy out of her misery. She went "over the pet rainbow" peacefully while laying on my wife's lap. We were and are devastated and miss her so very much. Her blood work came back negative for all of the 10 known strains of Lepto. so we are thinking it was the fly.

Daisy
7/10/07 - 7/15/11
Forever In our Hearts

Happy news about our newest addition...

One week later, on Friday 7/22/11, I was looking at the website for our favorite pet store where we had gotten both our dogs. There was a picture of an irresistible male Shih-Tzu puppy. My son and I went that evening and liked him, so my wife and I went the next morning and took him home.

He is 12 weeks old, 3.7 pounds, already neutered and we named him Buster.

Certainly this will not bring Daisy back, but Buster does fill the hole left in our hearts and family. He is fitting into our family very well.

Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

deach777 responded:
I'm sorry for your loss of Daisy, Dave. They are family and always leave a hole in our hearts.when they pass.
R.I.P. Daisy, Take care of that new guy, Buster, ~Deach~

davedsel57 replied to deach777's response:
Thanks for your kind words, Deach.

One nice thing is that we had Daisy cremated and her remains are in a beautiful wooden box on our mantle with her picture and her paw print in a flat clay disc that the vet did for us.

Hope you are doing OK.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, -Dave

bj1208 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hey there - sorry about your loss of Daisy - that is so hard especially when they appear to be healthy - having the larva in there really is a bizarre case -

I'm sorry for your loss and happy that you found something to help with the healing process

take care - hugs - Joy

davedsel57 replied to bj1208's response:
Thank you for your kind words, Joy. Yes, Buster is very entertaining.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, -Dave

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center