Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Microdiscectomy, 2 weeks post-op
jls826 posted:
Hello again Community,

I had my surgery (L4L5, L5S1) two weeks ago. During the surgery I suffered a dural (spinal fluid) leak. leading to a two day stay in the hospital. Otherwise, my surgery went well. I've been able to return to work since my 8th day post-op, and am taking it slow. Fortunately, I've already noticed some improvement in my legs and feet.

A few things though:
-My incision is still bleeding a little bit. It's a very small amount but I'm not sure if it's because I still have the stitches, which are being removed tomorrow, or if it is abnormal.

-A small area above an inch or so above the incision seems to be swollen.

-Still have a horrible headache that doesn't improve with meds

Although I'll be seeing a PA tomorrow to remove the stitiches, I'm anxious to hear from the community.

Thanks!

bj1208 responded:
hi again - glad the surgery went somewhat well -

the part of the incision that is bleeding does not sound right - mine stopped bleeding the 2nd day I was home (Anterior Lumbar Fusion) and the part where it is swollen sounds like there may be a slight infection - ask the PA about this -

Also, headaches from spinal fluid leak is very common - normally they will require you to lay flat for a good 24-48 hours - again discuss this with the PA -

I would discuss these items with the PA - he/she will be able to answer your questions better -

remember to take it slow - keep us posted - take care - Joy

jls826 replied to bj1208's response:
thanks, Joy.

So, no infection, the PA said it's just a reaction (apparently there is a rash too) from the surgical tape. Although that was removed two weeks ago.

As for the stitches, I had no idea how much it hurt to have them removed. I'm still sore today because if it and am lightly bleeding still.

Is that normal?

bj1208 replied to jls826's response:
gosh it's been over 3 years since I had my operation and I was cut from my belly button way down below, way down below my bikini line - and I don't remember bleeding once I got home which was 24 hours later -

I would call the PA and ask - that's what they are there for!! let them check it out - could be just an irritation from having the stitches put in and taken out -

let us know what you find out - take care - Joy

jls826 replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks, Joy.

The PA wasn't alarmed about the bleeding, and although I still have light bleeding every day as is evident on the bandages, the PA said to not worry about it. THe PA also wasn't alarmed that I was still having headaches and dizziness when standing. He said it's "probably just from the loss of blood from surgery." Tomorrow marks 3 weeks post-op, so that doesn't sound right, especially since I just had a microdiscectomy.

Very frustrated with these PAs. After probably a bit too much google, I am a bit afraid that the dural leak from my surgery hasn't sealed as incision discharge, nausea, dizziness and headaches are all symptoms of that.

Guess if the symptoms don't resolve themselves, we'll see what happens when I see the surgeon on Sept 1st.

bj1208 replied to jls826's response:
I think with the symptoms you are having waiting til 9/1 to see the surgeon is a little too far away -

I would call and make an appt as soon as you can - this way if something is wrong the surgeon can address it -

Dont' worry bout stepping on the PA's feet either, I had major surgery, FUSION and never had these problems - so I think I would call -

let us know what happens - take care - Joy

dianer01 replied to bj1208's response:
jls:

I am in total agreement with Joy, three weeks is too long for bleeing and headache. I have given a lot of blood in my life and have always been told it takes 2-3 days to replace the blood from donation. If you lost so much blood during the surgery you should have been given a transfusion and your body would have replaced any normal loss by now.

If you cannot get through to see the doctor I think I would be calling my primary doc or even going to the ER.

Your health and well being is at stake here, don't worry about the feelings of the PA.

di

gidgetsurfs replied to dianer01's response:
am going to squeeze in here, too, and say YES! get in to see the dr. urgently.

i have come across a few Physician Assistant's and Nurse Practicioners who believe they have the education and expereience to be the Physician's, themselves.

better safe!! best of luck w/ your healing, too.

jls826 replied to gidgetsurfs's response:
Thanks everybody.

Sooooo, I've left messages and have yet to receive a call back from the office. Each time a call the various individuals answering the phone indicate they will send a message to the clnical team who will get back to me.

I have worked for leading surgical services in leading hospitals and have never dealt with such unprofessionalism and lack of communication.

I have an appt with my personal internist next week; the soonest she could see me. I've also emailed the office manager (who I've found just as unprofessional) and BCCd the surgeon this evening after another day of still not receiving a call back.

While it would be more than justified to go to the ER, I don't want to deal with residents and fellows poking around my spine...nor do I want the expense of it.

It's crazy to think this is a #1 rated hospital and this surgeons in the spine area have no idea who monkey-managed their practice is! Ai yi yi!

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center