Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
lower back
Anon_235251 posted:
I was coming doen the stairs and I felt something pop in my butt/lower leg I was unable to move and my foot felt asleep! did something break??

davedsel57 responded:
You need to call 911 or get yourself to an emergency room. We can not give you a diagnosis or medical advice over an internet message board.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, -Dave

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:
It is relatively unlikely that you have sustained a spine fracture, but there is a reasonable chance that you have a lumbar disc herniation. The fact that you are unable to move your foot may indicate significant nerve compression that requires medical attension sooner rather than later. Your doctor may order an MRI study to confirm the diagnosis and to make definitive treatment recommendations. If you cannot make an appointment today, you should probably present to your nearest emergency room.

Good luck.

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center