Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Whats wrong with my back?
iMicman posted:
I'm posting a link to images of my mri hoping that I could get your opinions on L5-S1 of my spine. I've been dealing with back pain for 4 years and last week it got much worse. My mri was yesterday.

About 11 months ago I had a micro-discectomy on the disc in that area, but it only helped some and now I'm worse than ever. I've made appointments with 4 different surgeons but it will be a couple of weeks before I see the first one.

Can you help me understand whats wrong with my back?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Chirogeek.com has a very good page for interpreting MRI reports here: http://www.chirogeek.com/003_CT-Axial_Tutorial.htm

We are mostly laypeople here with more experience with spine problems than we wish we had. There are Experts that are assigned to this community, and they will eventually reply.

For a true and accurate diagnosis and treatment plan, you do need to discuss your report with all 4 surgeons. You are wise to get several opinions before deciding on what route to take to manage your pain.

I pray you can get the relief you need soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, -Dave

Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
your MRI is VERY UNIMPRESSIVE. I see almost no evidence of any open spinal surgery. Pain could be from the disc you had the "microdiscectomy" on. Only a discogram (discuss with your treating surgeon) could determine this, if it is needed.
Dr Ben Yishay

Helpful Tips

MRI Results of Back Help
Just received my MRI and need to wait 2 weeks for my follow up appointment. Can anyone help me read the results and let me know how serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center