Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Includes Expert Content
Back Pain
ISWIM posted:
I was rear ended 5 years ago. The seats broke in my car and the reslut of that left me with torn lower back muscles. I saw an orthopedic doctor, had P.T., saw a chiropracter. Did that for a year until I was fed up and decided it would heal on it's own. To this day I still get muscle spasms in my back and will hurt my back from lifting something that is too heavy. I went back to the orthopedic a month ago because the back pain was not going away. I was given medication to take. Is there any other way to get rid of the spasms and allievate the pain without meds?
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

first - you say you saw an Orthopedic doctor - was this a regular Orthopedic Doctor? Or Orthopedic Spine Specialist? There is a big difference between the two -

I would suggest that you see either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they are the only ones that can read film results properly (MRI/CT Scan/Myelogram etc) - You may need to have a current MRI and/or CT Scan done if it has been more than six (6) months since last one.

Generally, muscle spasm happen when either the muscle is irritated or spasm can happen to cover more sever problems as in disc(s) bulges/herniated. This is reason enough that you see the correct type of physician - Spine Specialist - they will examine you, may order other testings to be done. Once this is done they can give you a full diagnosis.

I would stop going to physical therapy and/or chiropractic treatments until you have been examined and have a full diagnosis as they can do more harm than good if there is some underlying disc problems that they are not aware of -

there are lots of treatment options and the spine specialist will let you know what those are once you have been examined.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out - take care - Joy
Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
Your diagnosis of "torn muscles" is very strange. I sprain or strain is probably what they were reffering to. (partial tearing). These injuries usually heal up without consequence. Sounds like you need a better diagnosis. Get an MRI if you havent done so already, under the guidance of a spine surgeon (specialist). Good luck!
Dr Ben Yishay

Helpful Tips

Ice works wonders More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center