Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
kabfla posted:
I had bone fusion in 2006 (L5-S1) and then a Spinal Cord Stimulator as it was determined I had permanent nerve damage. I've had numerous injections and take tramadol like candy. Nothing helps and it affects every moment of every day. I think about death all the time, and the only relief I get is laying on my stomach. This gets old fast. I'm at the end of my rope. I know others have it worse, but there's got to be something out there to help?
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I am sorry your post has gone un-answered - I just now saw it - so again sorry it has taken this long to respond -

first - it sounds as though you are not getting the right treatments from your doc - so I would suggest that you get a couple of opinions - from both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist -

I had my fusion in 2008 - my surgery went well and I fused 100% but they could not do anything for the chronic low back pain or the nerve damage in both legs (left leg is worse than right). I too had the 'trial' spinal cord stimulator, however it did not work for me - it did wonders for the leg pains but it increased my lower back pains almost tri-fold - we tried all different strength levels but nothing worked so the 'trial' leads were removed. you can click on my name or pic and read my story -

I have been thru all treatments and nothing has worked - the best thing I have found was a good pain management clinic - they are PHYSIATRIST and they go deeper into pain management - more so than the regular pain clinics - here is link describing what they are and what they do:

when you get the other opinions from the spine specialist they can refer you to a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management clinic - they will review your history and determine what course of action is needed. they are not ones to continually do treatments that do not work.

I would suggest that you go this route - getting more than one opinion will let you know what is wrong and what action should be taken.

please keep us posted - take care - Joy
Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
I would recommend you see another spine specialist for an opinion and also consider see in a physiatrist or other pain management specialist especially as you seem to be getting depressed. There are better medication options than tramadol to make your pain more tolerable and allow you to be more functional.
Good luck
kabfla replied to Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA's response:
Thank you, I'll look into that. I appreciate your advice.

Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center