Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
POST SURGERY PAIN
cheriesback posted:
Hi, I just found this website and found alot of helpful information posted. I had my l5-l4 fused about 5 months ago. I really did quite well for the first 3 months. Then I started doing things like dancing and heavy duty gardening. Now I am hurting again, but not from my initial problems. I have alot of muscle issues. I started out after surgery taking 2 hydrocodine every 3 to 4 hours and tried going off of it after 5 months but found that my pain at night was impossible, especially nerves. Now I take 1 hydrocodine at night with a muscle relaxer and I am pain free all night and most of the day. I am worried about taking the pain medicine after 5 months. Should I be worried?

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group

did you intend to post a website link?

First - you are 5 months post op from a major surgery and should still be under your surgeons' care. and you should be going by the strict guidelines from the surgeon.

When I had my fusion (L5-S1) I was under the surgeon's care for 8 months and I was not allowed to pick anything up weighing over 10 lbs - I was not allowed to bend forward or backwards - If I had to pick something up off the floor I had to squat down. I was not allowed to doing any pushing/pulling which meant I could not vacuum - same with sweeping as this would add stress to the back.

Fusions are a major surgery (as with all surgeries) whereas they normaly will put a plate, screws,cage (maybe rods) and can take up to a year or longer for the fusion to heal - I was an exception to this as by my 6th week post op I was 100% fused.

Even as that, fusions can herniate, not take etc., if not careful and this means following the usrgeon's recovery guidelines.''

As far as the medication you are taking - my story is I was doing great up to my 3rd month post op and then after that my pains came back worse than before the surgery (surgery was almost 4 years ago) and I am on some very heavy narcotics - If I wasnt taking my pain meds I would not be able to get out of bed and do simple things -

If you take your pain medication as prescribed there shouldn't be any concerns or worries - you should always discuss this with your surgeon as they will be able to examine you and adjust the meds based on your diagnoses etc.,

I hope this helps - please keep us posted as to your recovery progress etc., Take care - Joy

cheriesback replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks for your reply Joy,

My doctor has never mentioned that I should restrict myself from anything other than lifting and bending backwards. From what your are describing, I probably am doing too much. I am sorry that you are worse since your surgery. I was hoping I would be able to get back to normal soon, but I have heard a lot of stories like yours. I will take your advice though. Thanks
Cherie

MMMarta replied to cheriesback's response:
I think your doctor would tell you if there were any concerns of drug dependency.

Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
I would follow up with your surgeon and make sure that the fusion is healing properly if your pain was initially much better. He may need to get a CT scan. As for medications it is always advisable to take as little as possible and for as short a duration of time as you can.
Good luck

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center