Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
Fluid collection after surgery, and severe headahes
Dolphinlover_68 posted:
Hi, i have a few questions, and hopefully you can answer them. I had back surgery on June 13th of this year, and developed a fluid collection. I moved out of state and dont have a spine doc or pain doc yet, but its coming to the point where i think i need one. Can a fluid collection cause menegitis? And with the headaches and neck pain, aren't those symptoms of menengiis? Any info you can give me would greatly be appreciated.
davedsel57 responded:

I am not a doctor, but from what I understand these symptoms can indicate something serious. You need to find a local doctor - even a primary doctor - and get evaluated asap. You may do best to go to a local urgent care clinic or hospital emergency room.

I think that you need medical attention asap.

I pray you can get this resolved soon. Please update us after you have seen a doctor.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


jls826 responded:

sorry to hear of your headaches and other symptoms. Considering you had back surgery, the other symptoms should be looked into sooner rather than later. They could be nothing, just normal fluid collection post-surg or indicative of other things...such as a dural leak, etc.

Try calling your surgeon, his office should be able to order a MRI even though you are in another state. If not, don't let other doctors (er, urgent care, etc) touch you unless you've had proper imaging done, since you've had surgery they should be willing to order a MRI.

Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
You should seek out rapid care from a spine specialist. You may have a spinal fluid leakage which is giving you the neck pain and headaches. If this becomes infected it can lead to meningitis. This may be very serious and you should seek immediate care.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 50 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center