Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    back pain confussion
    Laurentuck posted:
    my friend has a torn acl that has gone untreaded for a little over a year now. now he is having some lower to mid back pain. can the two be related to each other?
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    mostly, we are lay people who share and help othesr that have some sort of chronic pains. we do have great physicians that can go into deeper explaination of test results and/or treatments.

    WEBMD does not allow us to give out any type of diagnosis and even the board physicians cannot do this without seeing the patient.

    so it's really hard to say if this is the cause of lower back pains. what your friend needs to do is see a spine specialist (Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist) they will examine and may order tests (MRI/CT Scans etc) so they can diagnose the problem. they can also advise what treatment options would benefit your friend. your friend also needs to see an Orthopedic surgeon regarding the torn ACL.

    please keep us posted as to how ur friend is doing - it's great you are trying to help and asking questions.

    Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
    Impossible to say based on this info. A chronic limp can sometimes cause back pain. So maybe yes.
    Dr Ben Yishay
    Ari Ben-Yishay, MD replied to bj1208's response:
    AS usual Joy, you are right on the money.
    Dr Ben YIshay
    Brockhold replied to Ari Ben-Yishay, MD's response:
    I have been experiencing lower back pain for the past 2 weeks and it is becoming severely debilitating.

    I experienced this once about 1 year ago and ended up going to the ER, I was told to rest and prescribed Flexirol and Vicodin, as well as charged a $7,000 hospital bill for 3.5 hours. The cause seemed to be carrying furniture up stairs and then later aggravated by twisting while on a ladder.

    It then came back about a month ago for no apparent reason other than driving for a long period of time. This time I first went and got a deep tissue massage, which did not seem to help. After that I saw a chiropractor and it seemed to be immediately cured after just two adjustments.

    Now that its back I have been to the chiropractor 5 times and it is not getting better.

    Began with lower back pain just above my waistline, seems worse on the right side, at least in the beginning.

    I get severe muscle spasms (knots) in my lower back, bigger on the right side. But has moved to my buttox and thighs having sharp pains.

    Sitting seems to be the cause of the pain, the more I sit the more severe it is. Standing and more specifically being active while standing seems to make the pain subside.

    Laying down does not seem to help at all, as each morning when I wake up it is very aggravated and painful.

    I can lift heavy objects without it getting any worse.


    After doing research it seems to me that my problem is Piriformis syndrome the only thing that does not make sense from what I have found, is that it started in my lower back and moved down, from what I have read Piriformis syndrome seems to be limited to the buttox and legs?

    Thank you in advance for your help, I do not have health insurance and can not afford to see a Doctor, but this is becoming severe and difficult to live with.
    bj1208 replied to Brockhold's response:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    first - I would stop going to the chiropractor until you have been fully examined and diagnosed by a back specialist - either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they may order tests (x-ray, MRI, CT Scan etc) to be done - this way they can diagnose what is going on - and if need be, let you now what the best treatment options will be -

    try not to research so much on self diagnosing as you can come up with so many different things - please keep us posted as to what you find out - take care - Joy

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center