Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
spondylolisthesis and intestinal fortitude
dibbits0530 posted:
I have a question that may be addressing three areas of expertise. i have spondylolisthesis and peripheral neuropathy. Along with that,
I have a lousy intestinal track. This is a wonderful combination when it comes to lower back pain. All these things cause back pain in the same area. When it comes to pain, I cannot tell if the pain is from the spondylolisthesis, neuropathy or from the intestines. Several issues that congregate in the same area. I should put up a no loitering sign up down there. This morning, I woke up in severe pain. I did my exercises which allowed for some gas to pass from the area and much of my pain went away. Odd but true. In my situation, I need to address many things. Apparently, in my situation, one bad thing causes another. All three issues compound the pain. All of those areas are being or will be addressed in the near future. Is there anyone out there who has experienced something like this?
David

georgia888 responded:
Hello David,
Sorry about your problems. I can relate somewhat in that I do have spondylolisthesis with stenosis & fibromyalgia. As far as I know, my intestinal system is ok however, the fibro can create issues with both the bowels & bladder. Of course, many back conditions, at a severe stage, can affect either the bladder or bowels.

So, how are we to know just what's what & if the back condition(s) are the reason for the bladder and/or bowels to be acting up? Are your conditions routinely monitored by a physician? We know our bodies best so my advice would be to listen closely to yours & if you think anything is "off," then let your doctor know.

Good luck & take care,
georgia

dibbits0530 replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia and thank you for your response. I understand your plight with FMS as my wife suffers from FMS as well. I believe my major source of contention is from peripheral neuropathy. Which is something is I have suffered with from childbirth. It effects everything. I am currently seeing a new PCP. Starting from scratch. Also I am to be seen by my orthopedic doctor to try to get my leg straightened out. I believe it will help with the back pain as well. Too too much calamity.
David

georgia888 replied to dibbits0530's response:
Best of luck to you, David, in finding solutions to your problems.

Take care,
georgia

Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
I have never see a patient with all this. Peripheral Neuropathy is usually associated with pain, numbness, tingling of the feet and legs, NOT back pain.
Dr Ben Yishay

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center