Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    l5 s1 l4 l5 l3 l4 ect fractured vertebrae
    An_241095 posted:
    have been haveing problems with my back for some time.i have 11 fractured as well as 4 disk that are bulging or just plane not there any more.i have just had an EMG done that showes there is a sevier problem with the nerves at the l5 s1 level in my back. in fact while the doc was doing the test he got very serous and kept asking if i was diabetic of course i am not. my nerve problem has progressed to the point that the doctor told me that if i dont get something done i will probly be back in a wheelchair for good this time. i have seen a surgen and been told by 2 of them that there is nothing that can be done with my problem one doc was a neuro surgen the other was a back surgen. i was told that with my fractured vertebrae my back is not stable enough to do any thing. i had the EMG because of sever pain in my hip and butt. after 2 of my doctors took a look at my xray both felt my problem in my hip was comming from my back. i am waithing for the MRI to come back befor going to see a new surgen but at this point i know it is going to be more of the same,there is nothing we can do. i am looking for some out of the box thinking on this one.does any one know if there is any where i can go that might be able to help me. the pain gets worse every day and i am getting to the point that walking is vary hard to do and i am in my powerchair more and more.i dont want to go back the chair again so if there is any one that might know some where i might find help i am open.thank you for the time .
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    the members here feel your pains - most of us here have either had some type of surgery that did not work, partially worked or where surgery was out of the question. so we know where you are coming from.

    this board was set up as a support group, where we, lay people, try to help others by letting them know what type of surgeons to see (either Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist) or pain management (PHYSIATRIST Pain Management ~~ A PHYSIATRIST Pain Management goes deeper into pain management control by using different treatment options.

    WEBMD has up an agreement when you make your account where we cannot disclose any personal information (doctor's names, hospital names, addresses, phone numbers etc.,)

    the best thing to do is research on the internet of hospitals/doctors in your area that specialize in back treatments. There is a search engine at the top of this page: DOCTOR ~~ where you can search for doctors/hospitals/pain clinics in your area.

    you can also ask people you are around - those doing the tests (MRI/CT Scan etc) sometimes they can give you names etc of ones that they either have been to or have heard great things about them.

    Another is keep going to spine specialists and research them until you can find one that may offer treatment options.

    I had surgery (Fusion L5-S1 - u can click on my name or pic and read my story) almost 4 yrs ago - removed my disc put a plate, screws and cage in. My disc had ruptured and splintered part on the left S1 nerve root and part on the right S1 nerve root. my disc ruptured in '06 and I was bounced around from one pain clinic to another and from one spine specialist to another - all stated no surgery - until I had exhausted all treatment options so surgery was finally done in '08. By this time nerve damage had already set in and became permanent. I have th EMG Nerve Conduction Test done yearly to check the degree of damage and also to check and see if other discs are involved. I have 3 other discs that are bulging (L2, L3, L4) and my L4 disc moves slightly when I bend and need to have x-rays every year to check the degree of movement. Over the last 1 1/2 yrs I have been to 4 different Spine Specialist advising surgery is out of question as i would need to have what is called 360 flip (open up in front do work sow up the flip over open up in back and finish work) my fusion @ L5-S1 would have to be removed and a multi level fusion would need to be done with rods - at this point surgery is out of question unless on or more disc(s) become to unstable.

    So I keep hoping and searching for a spine specialist that will give me the go ahead.

    The best advise we can give is to be sure that you see a spine specialist (either Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist) and to be sure you have a full diagnosis and are given a treatment option (there are many different treatment options) and you can also get a referral to a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management clinic where they go deeper into pain management control by different means.

    I hope and pray you can find the right doctor and get the relief you need - please keep us posted what you find out - take care - Joy
    bobbiLouise replied to bj1208's response:
    Thank you
    bammthis replied to bj1208's response:
    have been to a couple of the type of doctors you have talked about.both of the docs have told me there is no way to do any of them stated that with the 11 fractured verterbre my back is not stable enough to do any of the things you listed the pins rods ect.i have had the fractures fixed as well as possable with a procidure called kypoplasty 7 of those as well as a morphine pump. i get some reduction in pain with worie is not being able to walk.the pain gets a little worse every day .i was hoping to hear that the mayo clinic or somewhere like that would be the place to go .thanks for your time.
    bj1208 replied to bammthis's response:
    Hey there ~~

    there are several 'clinics' to look into - think you are going in the right direction.

    my hubby has heard of a 'clinic' in CA that is supposed to be real good - he wants me to go there~~but money is a factor -

    it's good to do as much research as you possibly can regarding 'clinics' and what they have to offer - speaking with people too is a good source - there are a lot more back/neck pain sufferers out there as most usually won't say anything unless the subject is brought up -

    I know before I had my Fusion surgery I researched the surgery on-line for an entire weekend before I decided to have it done. I even asked my primary care doc I had at that time what he thought of the surgeon that was going to do my surgery and he said that the surgeon has devoted his entire practice to back procedures - being board certified for this - so that made me feel better. my surgeon did fix my problem - he removed the disc and put a plate, screws and cage in - I fused 100% and everything was fine - after my 3rd month post op my pains came back tri-fold and I had nerve issues in both my legs (left being worse) - my surgeon stated he did all he could and that I was the 1% out of 5 to be labeled 'Failed Back Surgery Syndrome" so this along with my other problems has caused me to research further to find who will treat me surgically.

    good luck in your research and keep us posted (try to not mention names etc)

    take care - Joy
    bammthis replied to bj1208's response:
    my problem with this is i am not even in the running for the cage and screw sugrey. i have been told by a couple of doctors that there is no way they will tuch my back with the condition it is in. i have medicare so i am hoping they will be willing to spring for me to go to get a second opnion fron a world known hospital. at this point hope id all i have. my daughter has cancer in her eye and was getting a little down about it. all i could tell her is there is always hope. i told her that is where i am and she needs to try and look for some as well. if any one else knows of a doctor a clnic or hospital that might be able to do something for me i am open.thank you.
    bj1208 replied to bammthis's response:
    hi - the only problem there is we cannot disclose any personal information relating to physicians, hospitals and/or our own personal information -

    however, you can post your email address and ask that someone send you an email outlining the information.

    we do have several board spine specialists - you can post a new posting: QUESTION FOR DOCTORS and let the know your entire situation. they may be able to offer some advise - you need to be very specific and list everything that is wrong with the verbiage from the MRI/CT Scan -

    I do wish you luck - prayers to you and your daughter - ((((HUGS)))) Joy
    bammthis replied to bj1208's response:
    understand that if you can send me the link to the doctor on this sight of give me a clue where to find him on this sight it would help.this sight is big so it is hard for me to find the doc on this sight. as for my MRI i am haveing a big problem with that.i have so much pain when i lie down the last one i had was 3 years ago.i am trying now.going to get a pain shot with something to keep me calm. i do have the EMG sohuld give any doc at least some info and i can get the results from the MRI i did have .that being said i done have much hops that they can fix my back my hope is that there might be a clinic or hospital that might have something to offer.
    bj1208 replied to bammthis's response:
    at the top right of this discussion board are the physicians -

    you can just do a new discussion and label it: QUESTION FOR DOCTORS -

    they will see this and respond - it may take a couple of days but they do respond and are really great -

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center