Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    sharp lower back pain, unable to move
    An_241154 posted:
    About 5 months ago I began having sharp pain in my lower back, like it locked up, and i was unable to move. this lasted 30 seconds to a minute. I went to doctor he told me that it was muscle spasms and gave me muscle relaxers, and told me it would take time to heal. The "locking" is becoming increasingly longer each time, muscle relaxers were no help. I have no consistent backache, on hurts when it is jarred, i cough, walk on uneven ground. etc. I don't know whether to go back to the doctor or keep waiting. any ideas????
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    since this has been going on for a while and not getting any better it's time that you see a spine specialist - either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - this does not mean you need surgery but they are the best at diagnosing back/neck problems

    discuss this with your doc and let him/her know that you are concerned about it and have your doc refer you to one - just be sure they are a spine specialist - if your insurance does not need a referral then you can look in the phone book and find one -

    tests may be ordered (X-ray, MRI, CT Scan etc.,) this will give the doc a better view of what could be causing this -

    if it is muscle spasms the spine specialist can refer you to some type of physical therapy - they will write the proper script out for the type of treatments needed.

    please let us know what you find out - take care - Joy
    davedsel57 responded:
    Read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. Yes, you should go back to the doctor - start with your primary doctor and see what he/she recommends.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


    Ari Ben-Yishay, MD responded:
    Go back to your doctor if the symptoms are increasing in severity. An MRI could be helpful. Good luck
    Dr Ben Yishay
    custhlry responded:
    I think a mri is in order sound like bulging disc a friend of mines had that problem was treated with pain meds muscle relaxers, takes a while for it to heal on it own, up to two years of light duty stuff, I wouldnt recommend surgery last last ditch efford,even then i woulnt recommend it.

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center